Melissa Groo
01-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Canon 1D Mark IV
500mm +1.4x
Handheld

ISO 800
1/1000 sec
f/6.3

I've just returned from almost 2 weeks down in Fort Myers, FL. It was my first time being there in Dec/early Jan, and certainly wasn't as productive as the times I've been there in Feb and in May. The weather was kind of rough, with cool temps and not much light, and the birds were scarce in many places. I hit Sanibel, Estero, Bunche, Fort DeSoto, and Venice Rookery, among other spots. Came back with over 3000 images that I am just beginning to look at. Now that vacation's over, it's time to go back to school and this is the best classroom I know of!
Took this at a Fort Myers marsh. I felt so lucky to have a bit of time with a pair of sandhill cranes. This was really the first time I had photographed them, and I had been looking them for days, finally found a pair on my last day there. They were very comfortable with me as I slowly followed them along, squatting down in the grass near them when they were stationary, doing some preening (them not me). Got a few fireant bites but it was worth it! I fell in love with these birds.
I processed this for the first time following closely the guide that Arash and Artie wrote called "The Digital Photo Professional RAW Conversion Guide." What I should do is also process it using my old haphazard way and see what the difference is.
I hope you like it. Thanks so much in advance for any comments and critiques.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1775"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

gail bisson
01-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Welcome back Melissa!
This is lovely. I love the lines and curves found within this image.
The ruffled, erect neck feathers are beautifully detailed.You could not have picked a better BG and title.
This is one beautiful image.
PP looks good,
Gail

Bill Dix
01-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Just lovely, Melissa. I like everything about this -- comp especially, but also colors, pose, detail, background. Nicely done. Which Ft. Myers marsh was this? Have fun going through your images.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Hey Girl. Was nice to have you visit and I hope you got some nice images. I like this pose and the unique colors of the crane. I took this image into PS (hope you dont mind) because I wasnt feeling the crop. I played around with a vertical something like this and wondered if youd like it. I have had a similar pose that drove me nuts with how to crop it. I found a square crop worked well too but more above the tail feather so it wasnt cut off. I also adjusted the darks just a little to add some more contrast. Hope you like

Troy Lim
01-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Nice pose taken. I prefer Cheryl's crop. The original crop just seems odd and does not flow well in the frame.

Melissa Groo
01-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks you all, for your feedback. Cheryl, I like what you did, don't know why I didn't think to try a vertical. The truth is the more I sat with that OP comp the more it began to kind of bug me. At the same time, I don't like to give up the curve of the neck and the detail of the feathers there. Here's one more option for what it's worth. Hopefully others will weigh in.

gail bisson
01-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Nope,
I still like the OP best!

Grace Scalzo
01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Melissa, Glad to see you back. Personally,I like your repost the best. The original felt awkward on the bottom where as the repost keeps this nice curve of the neck and eliminates some of the messiness of the tail area.

It's a really nice image, btw and the processing looks natural.

dankearl
01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
The OP is the best for me, lovely pose, nice light, colors and BG.
Maybe sharpen the eye a tad.
Very nice!

Arthur Morris
01-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Melissa, You were at a difficult distance--most folks hit on the fact that the original composition was a bit awkward. I like all the reposts somewhat better. Nobody hit on the biggest problem: in ABP and elsewhere and on the blog I have written,' 99.99% of successful images of preening birds have the bird's head and face perfectly parallel to the imaging sensor." And I have said the same thing on IPTs and at seminars (and here on BPN) 100s of times....

Processing looks fine. I never had a problem with ACR until I went to the 1D X. I now use DPP for all my 1D X & 5D III files. The image as presented could use a bit more pop.

Melissa Groo
01-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Thank you Artie, Gail, Grace and Dan. I'm curious to know how you would have cropped it, Artie, as you don't seem too sold on any of the comps (though I also understand you may not have kept this at all due to the noted head angle issue). If you have time, would really appreciate seeing that. This was my first time photographing these guys and I find their unusual form challenging to frame.

Karl Egressy
01-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Beautiful image, Melissa. I like the ncie colours in the bird and background and the great feather details. As far as the crop goes, I like your repost the best and the OP as a close second.

Arthur Morris
01-11-2013, 08:58 PM
YAW Mel. You were at what I call the awkward framing distance.... Not sure that there is a really pleasing image design when you are in that zone.... Options include moving back and going for the horizontal whole body pose or moving in for a variety of better options. Jeez, I spent a half hour looking for one of the former in my collection without success....

Here's one of a preening sandhill from Indian Lake Estates, FL from a bit closer that illustrates the power of having the head and face parallel to the imaging sensor.

Melissa Groo
01-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Ah so. I see what you mean. Perhaps I should have posted a tight or full version of this one, which is straight out of the camera, but for the crop. As always, thank you for the instruction, Artie.

Nick Palmieri
01-11-2013, 09:32 PM
I like all the crops...I say that because I can't choose one... Very cool image. I wish the eye was slightly brighter. TFS

Sachin Saraf
01-11-2013, 10:32 PM
When I looked at OP I liked it...but with all the other options I was getting confused...But love that last frame..Well done Melissa...Me and Maya were there last Dec and with limited time opportunities are scarce at this time of year.

dankearl
01-11-2013, 11:53 PM
I would have posted the full frame one to
begin with.
I like everything about it, tight but just right and I like the grass FG.

Arthur Morris
01-12-2013, 04:15 AM
Ah so. I see what you mean. Perhaps I should have posted a tight or full version of this one, which is straight out of the camera, but for the crop. As always, thank you for the instruction, Artie.

You are welcome. The image in Pane #14 is still a it tight all around. This is about as tight as I would go with a vertical.

vishaljadhav
01-12-2013, 04:16 AM
I think i like the last one you posted here ,
Cranes have always been a attraction for me, we get the Sarus in India and i just love watching it whenever i get a chace
The red on the head is a impressive colour .
Wonderful image

vishaljadhav
01-12-2013, 04:18 AM
Arthur,
You just made my day posting that one, impressive
I am just a big Crane fan and the sandhill has colours that impress me a lot, never seen it in real only in pictures.
You both thanks for posting these as they have really got my day going

Marina Scarr
01-12-2013, 08:25 AM
I have looked at your various crops several times. While the crop is unconventional for a SHC, I have to go with the OP first and then your RP. The reason I prefer the OP is the lovely feathers are included near the bottom. The more I look at it, the more artistic the image becomes and the more it grows on me. I also like the behavior here. That said, you may consider other options when in the field with a SHC next time. They aren't always easy to photograph and having their head parallel to the plain is usuallyl helpful and lends itself to a more pleasing image.

Melissa Groo
01-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Thanks for that example, Artie. One last post then, with more room around and some basic processing.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Hey Melissa, I now prefer your repost horizontal removing the chopped off feathers. I like that you kept the curve of the neck but this just feels better to me and more of a striking image IMO

Troy Lim
01-12-2013, 09:00 PM
#22 is really great, I like it much better.

Satish Ranadive
01-13-2013, 01:50 AM
Melissa:
Gorgeous image.Love the wonderful colors,pose,great feather details and beautiful BG.
Learned a lot about composition of difficult to compose image.I also like the last re post of crane in habitat.

Regards,
Satish.