PDA

View Full Version : Pollinating

bhavya joshi
01-11-2013, 02:13 AM
Honey Bee.. (Need Exact ID, Anyone???) Pollinating in Red Rose.

With Canon 550D-100mm Macro
F:7.1
ISO:400
SS:1/800s
Natural light

Hope you all like it.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/409647_562982350398492_209981830_n.jpg

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1739"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Steve Maxson
01-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi Joshi. You have a very colorful flower and the interesting looking bee is giving you a nice pose. Very good sharpness within your DOF - although the abdomen and back legs appear sharper than the head. You might try a little more selective sharpening around the head to see if that helps. Overall, this is nicely done!

Allen Sparks
01-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Hi Joshi, nice image. I like the composition of the bee in this colorful flower. Critical focus does seem to be on the abdomen as Steve mentions. Not sure it was possible but I am wondering what an angle slightly more to the right would have yielded - giving a little better look at the face of the bee. Either way this is a very nice image.

Jerry van Dijk
01-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Hi Yoshi, very nice capture. I do think the image is a bit busy, but I appreciate how hard it is to get a good clean picture of a pollinating bee in a flower. I haven't succeeded as of yet!

Jonathan Ashton
01-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Good idea and good focus though the head looks just a tiny bit soft to me, a smaller aperture would have probably saved the day for you. There is sometimes an element of luck with shots like these and it is in retrospet we sometimes wish for something that didn't happen or wish we had perhaps considered it previously. With close up images like this I think it is important to try to convey as clearly as possible what the insect is doing. I accept it is a familiar subject and we would all have a pretty good idea in any event. I am alluding to the head and antennae and legs, if we could see more clearly precisely what the bee is doing I think it would enhance the image greatly, whilst I like the image to all intents and purposes it would appear the bee is on the flower and not necessarily collecting pollen or feeding on nectar, so maybe a slightly different angle and different timing would help demonstrate the behaviour. I note pollen is clearly visible on one leg there is another also with pollen but it is more difficult to discern.

Roman Kurywczak
01-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Hey Joshi,
Great advice above. I think you could also tone down some of the brighter areas in the rose and perhaps pull back on the reds a touch....this in addition to the recommendations above will take this image up a notch.

Bob Miller
01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Hi Joshi....I like this image as presented...I think the focus is pretty darn good!