PDA

View Full Version : Another Great Horned Owl

Jim Neiger
01-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Osceola County, Flroida - 1D4, 600mm, hand held, F4, ISO 1000, 1/800 manual, exposure

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2446"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Sidharth Kodikal
01-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Excellent high-key. Superbly sharp and a great pose. Terrific capture. A bit tight for me top and bottom, but that's comes down to personal taste.

Jim Neiger
01-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Excellent high-key. Superbly sharp and a great pose. Terrific capture. A bit tight for me top and bottom, but that's comes down to personal taste.

I tend to crop tighter for web display due to the small image size. With an image like this with a smooth high key bg, adding more of the bg doesn't seem to add anything to the image anyway. If I was making a large print, I would crop it differently.

Jonathan Ashton
01-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Super action shot sharp where required and a little blur to show action. Really impressive, I do wonder and maybe I am wrong, but is there a tad too much contrast - are the black feathers really so "black"? The bird is so well caught I do not mind the bright white background - perhaps you made it very bright - for me perhaps a tad too bright but that I feel is nothing more than my personal bias.

gail bisson
01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi Jim,
What a wonderful opportunity you had!
Terrific detail and I like the slight wing blur.
I find image a bit contrasty but it could be the high key BG giving the illusion. I love the position of the wings and the dangly legs but how I wish you had a better BG. I am not a lover of high key and I find myself looking at this shot and thinking what an amazing capture this would have been with a blue or grey sky or treeline. But that is a personal preference and not a comment on the action and techs,
Gail

Jim Neiger
01-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Gail, I am not fond of High Key images either. This image was made on a overcast and rainy morning and was backlit. If the sun had been out, I wouldn't have even attempted this. The contrast and colors match the raw image and what I saw with my eyes. The plumage on the GHOs can vary quite a bit, particularly with birds I have seen in Florida.

Robert Holguin
01-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Superb shot!!!
Love the dangling feet, excellent wing position, I personally like the high key, and excellent details.
Very well done.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Jim, very nice. loved all the sharp details and the dangling feet. liking the high key as well.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Awesome pose Jim and I like the high key. Am also liking the wing blur