PDA

View Full Version : Aloha from Hawaii

Grant China
01-09-2013, 01:36 AM
Greetings from Honolulu, Hawaii, USA. I've been lurking about here for a few months but have finally decided to introduce myself. I am a rank novice at both birding and photography and am looking forward to getting better at both. I have only decided in the last year or so to get serious about birding but am tightly constrained on both time and budget. I've taken one or two photos that I'm not too embarrassed by but I am in awe of the photos that I see posted here on a regular basis.

Despite living in what many would consider an exotic locale, I don't actually get out much into the forests and wetlands around here to look for endemic birds. Mostly I bird and take photos around my little neighborhood. I still get to see a few birds that would be considered exotic in North America but are mostly introduced species. On the other hand, I do get a chance to travel occasionally and I bet probably half the birds on my life list are from outside the US. It was my first trip to Africa that started my interest in these darn birds in the first place.

I've got other pictures that I'll post for C&C to the ETL forum later but for a fun starter, here's a picture I took of our state bird, the endemic Nene Goose:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8452/7968938056_5c15818212.jpg

Aloha,
Grant

Christopher Miller
01-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Welcome to BPN, Grant! Looking forward to your participation!

Hazel Grant
01-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Welcome! YOu'll find this a great group of people to work with. You caught this good is an interesting pose with tongue out. Look forward to other posts.

Roger Clark
01-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Grant,
Welcome! I would like to keep up on knowing the best new birding places for when I visit. I do like Kapiolani park.

Roger
(a former Honolulu resident and former associate professor, U. Hawaii)

Marina Scarr
01-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Big welcome to BPN, Grant. Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures soon in ETL!

Happy New Year and may 2013 bring you good light and many photographic opportunities.

Faraaz Abdool
01-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Welcome to BPN, Grant! Looking forward to seeing your images :-)

Daniel Cadieux
01-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Welcome to BPN Grant!!:S3: