PDA

View Full Version : One More Portrait

Steve Canuel
01-09-2013, 12:33 AM
A doe from a couple summers back, early evening and overcast, I warmed it up a touch in post. 7D, 700mm, f5.6, 1/250s, ISO 1600, +2/3 EC, HH from vehicle, cropped to about 30% of original, PP'd in DPP and PSE10.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1733"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Mark Wiseman
01-09-2013, 01:21 AM
Hi Steve,
I like the frontal symmetry you achieved in your crop together with the detail and eye contact. IMHO,the diffuse light from the overcast conditions can act as a wonderful diffuser and the light is nice and soft. A pleasing portrait, well done.
TFS and best wishes,
Mark.
:cheers:

Rachel Hollander
01-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi Steve - nice head on pose and the comp works well though I think the IQ has suffered slightly from the large crop (the head looks smooth rather than detailed and not as sharp as your usual posts). I do like the soft tones to this and I think warming it in pp seems to have been a good choice.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi Steve, love these little guys in their stripy tops. :S3:

As you have cropped it, I think moving the whole crop to the right with a little less space on the LHS and more to the right would help balance this portrait. I agree with Rachel, it's not as crisp as we have seen, or come to expect from you, so perhaps a few more rounds of USM will help? Overall I do fine things a little muted, and that might be what you want to portray, but two Curves/channel adjustments, one inverted brings a bit more depth and tone to the image, obviously masking the darker areas to avoid filling in of any detail there. Like Rachel's, the soft tones of the BKG really blend and work well with the image. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
01-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi Steve,
another fine head on portrait, with some soft coloration and low contrast in the fur.I think it is working, because you have a good contrast with those shiny black eyes.

Would leave everything as is , but agree about the requested sharpening.

TFS Andreas

Steve Canuel
01-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the comments folks. Plenty more room for crop adjustment available, multiple options possible. Regarding sharpening, I masked some portions of the face and was trying to retain a softer look but it seems my recent posts are a touch softer than what's on my screen when I submit.

Robert Amoruso
01-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Nice look to this one Steve. I would agree that positioning the body a bit more left in a final crop would balance out the rear end better.

Steve Canuel
01-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the look and comment Robert.