PDA

View Full Version : Still on patrol

Morkel Erasmus
01-08-2013, 04:15 PM
The same lion.
The same scene.
Just framed a little wider, and a different pose (exhibiting the Flehmen response).

Please comment on toning and overall processing - I believe this one is without a halo? Still sorting out screen calibration...:e3

I will be leaving tomorrow evening for a quick safari on the Chobe river (Botswana) and will be back in circulation next week before I'm off to Zimbabwe again. Tough life, but someone's gotta do it :tinysmile_shy_t:.

Techs:
Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR-II @ 200mm
f4.0 @ 1/400 SS @ ISO-100
Full frame

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1970"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Tom Graham
01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Processing looks good to me. No halo to me.
But the toning. It seems "strongest" in the darker clouds at the top and thus draws my eye to that area rather than the whole image.
Tom

Mark Wiseman
01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi Morkel,
This is for me a much better image than the previous post as the posture of the lion is towards the viewer and the phleghmen behaviour tells a story. A slight halo is evident over the rear top, but it maybe the affect of the lighter cloud in that area.
A magic image, TFS and well done.
Best wishes,
Mark.
:cheers:

Steve Canuel
01-09-2013, 12:41 AM
This looks really good Morkel. Maybe just a touch of brightness on the forehead (may not be visible in the big version) but toning, contrast, and detail all look great to me. Have a good trip!

Rachel Hollander
01-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Hi Morkel - great pose and behavior captured. The tones work well but I too also still see a slight halo along the lion's back and rump. While I like this I also keep thinking I'd like to see it with the lion a little larger in the frame. Any chance you took any like that? Have a great trip. Looking forward to the images upon your return.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
01-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Hi Morkel,
for me the other one in all terms, this looks more classical to me , seen many times.

Maybe this works better with the coloration (toning) of the other one.

TFS Andreas

Robert Amoruso
01-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Morkel,

Composition looks great made all the better by the Flehmen response.

The toning I am ambivalent on. I neither like or dislike it. Think I rather see a B&W version.

Rudi van den Heever
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Great conversion and like the space you gave this one Morkel!:w3

Morkel Erasmus
01-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Thanks a lot for your feedback, folks.
Robert, here's one with the toning toned down...do you like this better? :bg3: