PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo Penguin

Mike Milicia
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
EOS-1D X, 500mm f/4L IS, 1/3200, f/11, ISO 800
Full Frame

Another Gentoo emerging from the surf ... photographed last month during the Shoot The Light Falkland Islands workshop.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1758"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Grace Scalzo
01-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Nothing but accolades for this one Mike. Great like, wonderful details, and a nice story. Love the sand on him and the water falling off his tail.

Dennis Zaebst
01-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Agree with Grace's comments. Good light and colors. He looks as though he might be saying...."Aww come-on, give me a great big hug"!

Karl Egressy
01-08-2013, 05:02 PM
You have some striking images of this hadnsome penquin species, Mike. This is another sriking image. Love the pose and the break water background.

Joe Senzatimore
01-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Beautiful image. Lots to look at , and all well done. Comes together very nice. Might have left a bit more room on the sides , but just my taste. Still a wonderful capture.

Melissa Groo
01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Such a wonderful portrait of this cartoonish character, Mike. Fantastic detail and exposure. I could see a tad bit more room on both sides but also great as is. Super work.

Bob Malbon
01-08-2013, 07:51 PM
M, Love the strut! I will go for a bit more room.

Marina Scarr
01-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Terrific pose, Mike, and love all the environmental elements plus all that sand on the belly. I would burn the bright spot on the neck just a tad if it were mine. Just tried it, and I feel it's an improvement on an already terrific capture. If you're going for the portrait, I would take a little off of the bottom. However, I also like Melissa's idea of a tad more all around, if you have it, but maybe that's for another image! Looks like you have a killer trip!

Mike Milicia
01-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks to all for taking the time to comment!

I would have loved to get more room on the sides but there was no time to move back and, of course, one of the best poses was also one of the tightest :-(
At least, the nictitating membrane was not down. :S3:

Mike Milicia
01-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Thanks, Marina! I was typing when you posted. Would like to try your suggestion ... are you referring to the bright spot in the black area or in the white on the chest just below it?

Marina Scarr
01-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks, Marina! I was typing when you posted. Would like to try your suggestion ... are you referring to the bright spot in the black area or in the white on the chest just below it?

Hi Mike:

I was referring to the darker area of the neck. However, if this is one of your favorite images, I would consider trying to eek out a few more details in the upper whites as well. I think they're there.

On looking back, I also like the raised foot and all the falling sand and water under it's belly. So many elements here.

Steve Canuel
01-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Cool looking bird. I like how he seems to looking over his shoulder at the incoming wave as he scurries up the beach.

Shawn Zierman
01-09-2013, 01:37 AM
Brilliant image. I like the way the fg and bg elements are composed. Fantastic penguin pose.
Perfect front lighting, which gave you the whole shadow too...another neat little feature to the image.

Sachin Saraf
01-09-2013, 03:10 AM
Really beautiful image Mike...what a fantastic pose with raised foot, light and details...really loved it

Daniel Cadieux
01-09-2013, 10:00 AM
A terrific image Mike! I could see a version like others mention comp-wise but I am digging this as is. One spot between the foot and right edge could go (closer to the foot), but this is a smile-maker for sure. Super nice!

Robert Holguin
01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Wonderful shot.
Just love the pose, excellent shooting angle, love the waves in the background, and nice details.
Very well done.