PDA

View Full Version : My 1st post - Prothonotary Warbler

Robert Ward
04-27-2008, 02:07 PM
My intro here is from TIm Vidrine, whom I've had the pleasure of shooting with twice in the last week.

My noise management skills really need some help. I use CS3 with the Noiseware Pro plugin. I'm all over growing and learning so any comments are welcomed with regards to the shot itself and any color/noise improvement.

Thanks and I'm glad to have been intro'd here by Tim.

Robert

Harold Davis
04-27-2008, 02:27 PM
hi robert! welcome to BPN and great first post!! love the prothonotaries!! this looks to be a fairly large crop? if it is, that's probably where the noise is coming from. the bird is a little big in the frame for my tastes. you could back off a little and get some more environment in there. cant wait to see some more from you.

Alfred Forns
04-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Big Welcome Robert !!!!! One tough little guy to photograph !!!

Agree with Harold in being a bit tight in frame Wold try moving left a bit so there is more room to the side he is looking As presented looks centered

Noise wise there are several things you can do. Didn't post the tech info but if you open the shadows are all the noise will increase dramatically. Make sure you have info in the last box to the right in the histogram Large Crops will also magnify any noise problems I use Noise Ninja and it does a very good job. Most plug ins are similar.

Don't know which camera/ISO setting you used but it also makes a huge difference btw keep in mind when applying any noise reducing program that it will affect the image sharpness. Always a trade off !!!

I like the colors and saturation All seems just a little dark as if it was under exposed some Fill flash in this situation would have been desirable Don't think there was any? Great start and looking forward to many more !!!!

Gayle Clement
04-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Welcome to another Louisianian. You can't go wrong shooting with Tim! Al gave some terrific advice on this one.

Robert Ward
04-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks to all for the comments. I'll go play some more and see if i can get it better. I was using a better beamer on this shot but feel it may have been aimed a little below my point of interest.

Shot was 30D, 100-400 at f8 and ISO 800

Thanks again!

Robert Ward
04-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Better? I took some tips from Tim and you guys; moved in crop, lesser crop, some ps fill flash, etc.. Treid to balance noise reduction and sharpness with some selective reduction.

Alfred Forns
04-28-2008, 07:26 AM
I like this crop better Robert Would only crop down a little lower to eliminate the white strip up top !!!!

btw for the flash I use the elastic round bands women use to make their pony tails Fits in the body of the flash were it articulates and keeps is at the proper level You could also tape something to keep it level Does make a difference Photograph a dark wall at night with flash as main.

Oscar Zangroniz
04-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Welcome to BPN Robert.
Indeed a beautiful bird. Nice contrast and sharpness. Agree with Harold about the bird being a bit big for the frame.
Again, Welcome.
Regards,

Gus Cobos
04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Welcome to BPN Robert,
I like your last repost, keep them coming...:D

Dan Brown
04-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Welcome Robert. I like the shot and give degree of difficult points for closeness to any warbler. I ran Noise Ninja on the BG. It seems to have reduced the noise even more. Dan Brown

D.J. McNeil
04-30-2008, 12:18 PM
that looks really good!

Dave Phillips
04-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi Robert and welcome, we all learn a lot here from each other.
Seems we are having a field day with your warbler, but I see one really good lesson here.
When we are dealing with filtered light, here coming through translucent green leaves, that light often carries a cast with it.

I post this redo in hopes of removing some of that reflected color cast

Robert Ward
04-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Wow Dave, thats a big change. Can you explain what changes you made to remove the color cast? I thought white balance might would have done that.

Please splain it to me :)

Dave Phillips
04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks Robert, I did use a white balance and played with saturation using eyedropper for various yellows.
Generally warm yellows and reds can stand a bit of desaturation to bring in a bit of detail