PDA

View Full Version : Wild Horse

Miguel Palaviccini
01-07-2013, 08:23 AM
I usually post in the Avian forum, but on my last trip out to the local trail, I was lucky enough to see some wild horses. They are pretty tame from all of the people that walk the trails, but it's still always a pleasure to see them. When this mom came up and stood in front of the tree, I couldn't help but take a couple of shots, even if she isn't a bird ;)

Shooting info:
Nikon D800 | 70-200 VR + 2x
140 mm | 1/800" | f/5.6 | ISO 200

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

I hope to post some more around here, although the wildlife that I see is limited to white-tailed deer, wild horses, and the occasional bison.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2800"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Jonathan Ashton
01-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Yes good idea a very pleasant shot and good techs etc. If at all possible I would have taken on or two strides to the right to avoid the head being juxtapositioned against the tree. I would have even remembered that at the time - why - because a similar circumstance was pointed out to me in one of my images a couple of years ago. Did you do anything to the tree - it looks quite blurred?

Steve Canuel
01-07-2013, 10:04 PM
A different habitat than most of the ones posted of wild horses, an interesting look. Wish that he were looking away from the tree rather than into it as it seems to "crowd" him into the image. Might try toning down the bright grass stalks running up the chest and near the leg.

Morkel Erasmus
01-08-2013, 07:43 AM
nice scene, classically composed (well done to not have the tree "growing out of the horse's head" :w3)
it looks quite "luminous", in the sense that it looks like it was tonemapped in an HDR automation software?? Perhaps I am seeing things?

Miguel Palaviccini
01-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Yes good idea a very pleasant shot and good techs etc. If at all possible I would have taken on or two strides to the right to avoid the head being juxtapositioned against the tree. I would have even remembered that at the time - why - because a similar circumstance was pointed out to me in one of my images a couple of years ago. Did you do anything to the tree - it looks quite blurred?

Jonathan, funny you mention that bc I actually did move to move the tree a bit in the bg :). I'll have to post that shot, although the head angle wasn't as good as this one (IMO).

Miguel Palaviccini
01-10-2013, 11:19 AM
nice scene, classically composed (well done to not have the tree "growing out of the horse's head" :w3)
it looks quite "luminous", in the sense that it looks like it was tonemapped in an HDR automation software?? Perhaps I am seeing things?

Morkel, it hasn't been tone-mapped at all, but I did warm it up a bit. Not much else done to it (besides sharpening). I'll post the original