PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye butterfly

Bob Miller
01-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Found this beauty in my backyard on some sedum flowers.
Nikon D-300
ISO 800
1/80 sec at f16
180 Tamron macro

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2807" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Marina Scarr
01-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Your butterfly is lovely and full of detail. Wonder if it's not competing a tad too much with the BG to make it really work. That said, I still like it.

Jonathan Ashton
01-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Bob I think you have a good shot there, the butterfly is very well focused and exposed, the wings and body are pin sharp. It may be worthwhile very carefully selecting the antennae and the tip of the head and applying a little more sharpening , this would help isolate them from the flower. I suspect the right antenna and the tip of the head are just slightly OOF.
I like the flower head but in an ideal world the butterfly would be on a less complex backdrop, alternatively you could view the image as a good example of the butterfly on one of its favourite food plants in which case a suited title would minimise criticism over the flower head.

Steve Maxson
01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi Bob. Very nice sharpness on your butterfly and I like the diagonal comp. Good points above about the background - for me, the OOF flowers behind the butterfly are really drawing my eye. I think you could minimize this by cropping some off the bottom and left to help focus our attention on the butterfly. You might also selectively tone down the very bright portions of the flowers directly behind the butterfly. I like this image and a few tweaks will make it even stronger!

Bob Miller
01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks everyone! i see what you mean about the bg competing with the subject.....Steve ....thanks for your suggestions for dealing with this!

Patrick Sparkman
01-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Hi Bob, I like the overall colors and the subject is certainly rendered nicely. Agree with the comments that the OOF background really draws my eye, also would have been nice to have moved the camera up and right to avoid the straight down perspective.

bhavya joshi
01-11-2013, 02:20 AM
AS per my view I like this image. Butterfly is captured well and also you add it habitat like background. as some tweaks are suggest well above. like bottom blur Flowers/BG. overall Nice Image, TFS.

Allen Sparks
01-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Hi Bob, I like this image showing the habitat/food source of the butterfly even though I agree with others the BG does compete with the subject. Good suggestions above on minimizing this. Well done.

Jerry van Dijk
01-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi Bob, the butterfly is nice, sharp and beautifully colored. Although the BG is competing with it, I do think that it adds sufficient interest to make this one different from most 'standard' butterfly shots. I especially like the 3D feel because of the drop in DOF.

Roman Kurywczak
01-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Hey Bob,
Late to the party but some VG advice above. besides the crop Steve mentioned.....some darkening of the BG a few points.....and lightening the BF as few points may make this work as presented. Just some additional thoughts.