PDA

View Full Version : Least Tern on eggs

Rod Wiley
04-27-2008, 01:07 PM
This image was created at the Lagoon on Estero Island yesterday. I try to photograph nesting birds only in the morning and early evening when it's cool. The bird will fly away during set up and return in a few minutes. During midday that's long enough for the eggs to cook in the hot sun. Most people believe the mother sits on the eggs to warm them. Here in SW Florida the mother not only warms them at night she also cools them during the heat of the midday and only a minute off the eggs and they will no longer be viable, so be careful. Rod

Nikon D300
F4 500
f 7.1 ISO 200
ev-7 1/1600
Drypod Weekenders

www.adayintheswamp.com (http://www.adayintheswamp.com)
www.rjwileyphoto.com (http://www.rjwileyphoto.com)

Fabs Forns
04-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the warning, Rod!!!!

Sweet, tender moment, if a little tight for my tastes. Great to see the eggs, boy , they look BIG!!!!

Robert O'Toole
04-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Nice image, I like that you raised the camera enough for a good view of the eggs. The sharpness is good too. Ideally i would like to see more room, esp for the tail feathers.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi Rod,
I also like the fact that yu raised your angle a bit to show the eggs. I might have liked a hair more......but this may have spooked the bird. I'm glad to see you are studying the habits so as not to harm that which we enjoy so much.
Roman

Arthur Morris
04-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Well done Rod. The light looks a bit harsh for early. What time was the image made? (We used to hang with them in Saraota till about 8:30 am. The decision to cut the tail and include the primaries was a good one.

Rod Wiley
04-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I think it was around 9 am. Here's a photo of Bob Blanchard with his new Drypod Weekenders, he used them in the Lagoon saturday morning.He's got the Gitzo 5540 and they fit like a glove even with the shoulder pads. Rod

Maxis Gamez
04-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Hi Rod,

It was a pleasure meeting you. I really had a great time.

I have to agree with Artie, you made the right decision. The head turn is a nice touch and the eggs are priceless. I do find the orange leaf in the left side a distraction but nothing much you could have done. I hope to make it back to Estero soon!

Take care!