PDA

View Full Version : Golden Dragonfly - ID please

Bobo Madar
01-06-2013, 04:01 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Dgn5po5aa_0/UJY-bN9GgRI/AAAAAAAAMuc/CDHHS7J1d0A/s800/20121102_3044-1.jpg

5D3, 70-300L @ 300mm, f11. 1/200, ISO 400, HH, cropped.

This guy settled down about 15 feet away just as we were boarding the car to leave. Just had to grab a couple of shots as I had never seen one of this colour before.

Wish the background was better or perhaps darker. No sure though.

Comments/suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1968"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Dave Johnson
01-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Hi Bobo, nice light on this lovely looking dragonfly. Subject is a little too central in the frame so I'd suggest cropping some from the right hand side to pull him off center. BKG is cool although it would perhaps look better if smoothed out some and sharpening is a little aggressive. All relatively easy fixes which, IMHO, would improve an already strong image. Shooting techs are good and F11 at this focal length deemed everything sharp! Super shot, well done.

P.S.
RE your question on my Female Autumn Darter thread, I think this is a different species.

Bobo Madar
01-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks Dave, appreciate the suggestions. i will try to re-work the image.

Marina Scarr
01-06-2013, 05:33 PM
You have a nice and sharp dragon fly. Agree it would be even better to have your subject more off center.

Jonathan Ashton
01-07-2013, 09:12 AM
A fine capture and I am happy with composition though perhaps a recrop to make it more toward a 45 degree angle across the diagonals would improve a little. I sense the body is a little bright along with the twig to a lesser extent. Unfortunately I think you have oversharpened by quite a bit, also the blacks look a little dark to me. A few minor tweeks here and there and I think this image will be excellent as opposed to good. Regard ID I don't know which country it was taken in but it looks like what I would call a darter, I think in USA they are referred to as skimmers.

Bobo Madar
01-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks Marina and Jonathan.

Very much appreciate the suggestions.

So far the collected wisdom points to - bit more to the right, more diagonal, blurrier/smoother background, moderate sharpening, lighter blacks, slightly less bright subject.

I will redo and see what my minimal skills turn up.

Steve Maxson
01-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi Bobo. Regarding the ID - I'm not familiar with this particular species - it would help to know the geographic area where it was photographed. Your best bet would be to post this on BugGuide.net - they should be able to give you the correct ID. Lots of good suggestions already given above. I might add that you could check around the edges of the frame - there are a couple bright spots that draw my eye away from your subject - one on the left edge and one on the bottom. These could be easily toned down. You might also tone down the bright area below the tip of the abdomen. These are minor tweaks to a very nice image that will make it even better!

Allen Sparks
01-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi Bobo, nice sharp capture of this beauty and I like the diagonal of the subject. I think you have already summarized the technical and compositional suggestions quite well and Steve adds some good points.

Bobo Madar
01-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks Steve and Allen.

Apologies for the late response - was away for a couple of day.

Luckily had no time recently to dig out the RAW for a redo. Just added Steve's suggestion to the to-do list.

Will repost when done.

Roman Kurywczak
01-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Hey Bobo,
Very good advice above in tweaks. In the field, re positioning for a better angle would even further take it up a notch. Looking forward to the repost.

Bobo Madar
01-26-2013, 01:22 AM
Thanks Roman,

Had been busy last couple of weeks and had no time for the re-work. Will redo it coming Sunday. Let's see what comes up.

I agree a better angle would have worked but I had < 1 minute to get this shot or be left behind by my friends who were already in the car and pushing me to hurry up :)

Bobo Madar
01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Finally managed the redo.

Did this from scratch based on the great comments that were posted. I had no idea that there was so much more to processing.

What was done - bit more to the right, more diagonal, blurrier/smoother background, moderate sharpening, lighter blacks, slightly less bright subject, darken the lighter part behind the tail.

Thank you all for the great assistance offered.

Now I am not sure if it a different crop is needed - too much space in front?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8a8ck8LSy_U/UQamP1Ce43I/AAAAAAAANrI/HO38kT_GYHs/s800/20121102_3044-5.jpg