PDA

View Full Version : Lower Antelope HDR

Michael Pancier
04-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Another different view of Lower Antelope. I used Photomatix Pro for the conversion.
3 image HDR

5d + 17-40L @ 17mm
f/16
multiple exposures at -2Ev. 0Ev and +2 Ev

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Michael,
I really like the curves,tones, and textures of this one. My only suggestion is to get rid of the bright spot at the top. By eliminating the upper bright spot with a horizontal crop, I feel the composition doesn't suffer any even though you lose some of the undulations of the rock. I also like the fact that you included some of the rubble rocks as they add to the overall composition as an anchor. Very well done,
roman

Rich Ikerd
04-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Really nice Michael. I like that you've included some rubble - gives a little different look to the normally smooth walls of the canyons. As Roman pointed out, the bright spot at the top is a little distracting, but you might loose too much of the top rock eliminating it. Antelope can be a wonderful place if you're there without the crowds. Nicely taken.

Harold Davis
04-27-2008, 02:04 PM
really beautiful, michael. i agree about excavating the bright spots up top.

Bob Ettinger
04-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Love the image and as usual Roman's crop suggestion is right on. :-)

Dave Phillips
04-27-2008, 04:27 PM
a beautiful striking image....I too agree about the bright spot.
IMO only, would not like the little peaks cropped off though

Paul Pagano
04-27-2008, 07:03 PM
This is nice, Michael. I agree with Roman re: the bright spot.

Robert Amoruso
04-28-2008, 09:05 AM
David,

I like the lines of the image and the inclusion of the rocks at the bottom - a nice balancing touch. Agree with that one bright spot at the top needs to go.

Michael Pancier
04-28-2008, 10:27 AM
couldn't get a decent clone job on this. should I just crop it out?

Robert Amoruso
04-28-2008, 10:59 AM
couldn't get a decent clone job on this. should I just crop it out?

I say crop it.

Leroy Laverman
04-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Here's my attempt at cloning out the bright spot. I really like the upper part of the image and I think it's worth trying to keep it in. I used the clone brush with a 50% flow to blend in the cloned rocks over the bright spot. I used the rocks just to the left of the bright spot as a source as they seemed to have a similar color/texture.

Roman Kurywczak
04-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi Michael,
Even though I think Leroy did a very good job of getting rid of the bright spot by cloning (don't let Robert O'Toole see that........friend don't let friends clone).....I actually think the crop (proportional top and right) strenghtens it! Hope everyone takes a second look,
Roman

Leroy Laverman
04-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Now that I see it, I actually don't mind the crop either. And this avoids the 'altered states' problem.

Michael Pancier
04-28-2008, 01:48 PM
thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it another try with the cloning. You did a great job. If I can't get something similar, I'll just crop. I think they both work.

it's hard to avoid some of those bright spots there.

Roman Kurywczak
04-28-2008, 01:52 PM
thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it another try with the cloning. You did a great job. If I can't get something similar, I'll just crop. I think they both work.

it's hard to avoid some of those bright spots there.

You and Leroy are fast.......or i type slow as you both answered already. As far as bright spots.......almost impossible,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-28-2008, 02:09 PM
I would go with either.

Paul Pagano
04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
I think both work. I think I prefer the crop....the formations in this shot are really worth working this through to perfection...

Dave Phillips
04-28-2008, 05:28 PM
both reposts are excellent....I concede that I like Roman's crop idea after all.
Without the little peaks, my eye is drawn right back in to the image

Jeffrey Sipress
04-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Well, I won't add to the crop-fest here, but I think some of the bottom can go away.

Nice image of a popular place, and I like the color.