PDA

View Full Version : Zebra in B&W

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Looking forward to returning to Tanzania on my 2013 tour. Going through some files from the year before and decided to work on this zebra image. When I converted it all to B&W......decided to reintroduce some color back in.

ISO 800 at f/6.3 and 1/1000 sec.

I buy my gear at Hunt's Photo and Video.

Steve Kaluski
01-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi Roman, nice to see you back posting not just imagery, but valuable feedback too, all the very best for 2013. :cheers:

I can understand the direction/approach, but for me it's not really working for me sadly. I find the contrast between the almost harsh B/W, juxtapose to the very vivid colour of the ox pecker and eyes of the zebra jarring. Personally I might be tempted to warm the B/W to soften it, ie duo tone, but then only use the eye & bill of the Ox P? Just a thought. :w3

Parking that aside, I do like the HA and interaction of the Ox P, (classic), but might suggest adding if you have it, a little more at the foot of the image.

Hope others chime in to get a variety of thoughts on this one.

TFS
Steve :wave:

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks Steve! Trying to catch up on the comment front whenever time allows!

I debated the eyes and the tones you suggested myself.....so let's see what others chime in and i will try to work on that for comparison.

Steve Canuel
01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Hey Roman,
Great pattern on the face of this one and I really like the position of the oxpecker. To be honest though, this one scares me and makes me think of that creepy red-faced guy in that Star Wars movie.

Morkel Erasmus
01-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Hey Roman. I have to agree with the 2 Steve's :Whoa!:. I'd like it much more if either the zebra was toned a bit warmer (sepia e.g.) or the colour that's left here was a bit more muted/subdued. The comp is strong and the conversion on the Zebra is cracking.

Rachel Hollander
01-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Hi Roman - sorry but I have to agree with the guys on this one. I do however really like the detail you've extracted in the zebra's hair on the neck.

TFS,
Rachel

peter delaney
01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi Roman

Its always interesting to play around and try something different , I think the ox pecker in colour works ... but not the eyes... scary eyes!!
The conversion looks fine but am viewing on laptop so cant really comment on tonal range.

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
OK.....I guess the alien eyes go! I was debating them myself so you have all now confirmed....thanks all!!! Repost has sepia filter at 52% opacity.

Steve Kaluski
01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
I think the loss of the 'scarey' eyes is the way to go, but not sure about the Sepia tone, prefer the more B/W route, but you have the comparison. :w3

Marina Scarr
01-04-2013, 02:38 PM
I am truly liking both versions here...not even sure which is my favorite. Wouldn't mind seeing the original post with no color in eyes for a comparison. What I like most about these images is that they are unique and thought-provoking. I wish I were more capable of this out-of-the-box photography/processing which is one of the reasons I love perusing the images in these forums.

Morkel Erasmus
01-04-2013, 04:11 PM
I think the repost rocks it. :5

Andreas Liedmann
01-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Hi Roman,
like the general idea of the OP.
I would go for the original B/W conversion with reduced opacity on the eyes , but leave color on the bird as OP.
Good job on extracting the detail on the subjects.

TFS Andreas

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks all! This was great and I do believe I am leaning to Andreas's suggestion....so I reposted. My other thought is no color in the eyes.....but the subdued eyes seem to work for me best. Thanks for all the great tweak suggestions!!!

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2013, 01:55 PM
And for you Marina and everyone else for no color.......tough choice for me now!

Andreas Liedmann
01-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Hi Roman,
if there is a way for me to think this works for me, than it is the RP in pane #13.

Thank you for all your different versions.

Cheers Andreas

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Hi Roman,
if there is a way for me to think this works for me, than it is the RP in pane #13.

Thank you for all your different versions.

Cheers Andreas Thank you!!! It was your thoughts on the OP that made me realize what was bothering me and hopefully others in the OP!!!

Jonathan Ashton
01-07-2013, 12:07 PM
I think it's a great image...... would love to see it in colour!