PDA

View Full Version : Weddel Seal

Andreas Liedmann
01-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi folks - HAPPY NEW YEAR

Hope all of you had a smooth slide into the new year, all the best for all of you.

Image taken in Drygalski Fjord on South Georgia Island during a zodiac ride into the fjord, almost at the end we found this seal.The seal was resting on the rocks, after some time , the seal decided to disappear into the water.

Canon EOS 1D MK III

EF 70-200 IS L + 2x TC at 400mm

HH

F8 ; ISO 2000 ; 1/1600 sec

Processed in ACR and PS; used a B/W conversion to get the desired strong contrast effect. cropped to 80% of FF for leveling the image.

thanks for watching and leaving a comment.

Cheers Andreas

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2449"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Hey Andreas,
Very nice angle and good details. Part of me keeps wanting to crop 1/2 the space off the top for some reason.....just concentrates more on the face....but all in all....very nicely done!

Steve Canuel
01-03-2013, 08:51 PM
I like the color tones in this one Andreas. Also like the wave he's making as he slides into the water. Was initially undecided about the dark rock in the BG. At first I thought it should be lightened up just a bit but after looking at it again, I think it provides a nice backdrop for the lighter seal.

Morkel Erasmus
01-04-2013, 05:43 AM
Very nice angle here, Andreas. Good subtle colours and nice dark tones - perhaps it's worth opening up shadow detail a fraction more?
Good IQ for ISO-2000 on the 1Dmk3...
Perhaps the whiskers and snout are a tad oversharpened?

Happy 2013 to you too! :5

Rachel Hollander
01-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi Andreas - I like the colors and pov but something looks a tad off to me on this one. Almost like there might have been movement in the nose area but it is slightly oversharpened to compensate. I would also lose the rock in the llc.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
01-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks to Rachel ,Morkel, Roman and Steve appreciate your comments.

Rachel and Morkel - no additional sharpening applied to compensate blurred areas, and i personally do not think it look "over sharpened ".
Rachel - quite difficult to get rid of the rocks without doing it obviously,had the same thoughts , but decided to leave them in.

Thanks Andreas

Steve Kaluski
01-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi Andreas, can't really comment on colour as I'm away and viewing on laptop. When I first saw it I had the same thought as Roman, less space above. I like the low POV and the water being frozen through SS. If this is 80% of FF then be nice to have all the splash in on the RHS? I don't think it looks over sharp, it probably just the whiskers being pure white with water on them. The 'darkish' overall look/mood gives a sense to the image.

TFS
Steve