PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Warbler

Jon Swanson
01-02-2013, 06:24 PM
This is another bird from my Iowa warbler trip last spring. I remembered the park where I used to see them 10+ years ago and they are still breeding there in numbers. One thing I miss going from the D3s to the D800 is the unlimited high ISO capabilities such as this one in the understory. Might have to get a D4 for that :) D3s ISO 1600 1/200th -2/3 f8 FF.

Satish Ranadive
01-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Jon:
Magnificent image of nice looking warbler. Wonderful color scheme.
Love the pose,very nice exposed yellows with great details,nice perch with grass and backdrop.

Regards,
Satish.

Randy Stout
01-02-2013, 08:14 PM
JON:

Lovely bird, nice pose, great display of the feet, sharp and well exposed.

To my eye it has a bit of a color cast on the bird, some green overtones. I don't know this bird from personal experience, but I did a tweak by adjusting the yellow hue slider in LR4 to -52, and thought the yellows looked better and showed a bit more detail.

You of course are the final judge, since you were there.

Where abouts in Iowa? I am originally from Tipton, east central Iowa.

Cheers

Randy

Jon Swanson
01-02-2013, 09:54 PM
There might be a cast but you went a little too far on it. The back is more green and the yellows/blacks look pretty close on the 'real' bird :) I didn't even notice it until you said it. That is the benefit of posting on here and having others take an independent eye to an image.

Nick Palmieri
01-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Cool looking colorful bird. Agree on the green cast and the re-post looks better. Nice perch and the BG compliments the bird.

Shawn Zierman
01-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Really pretty image Jon. Such a cool warbler too. I'm digging the character of the perch, and would actually like to see more of it, with the warbler a bit higher in the frame. Did you use call playback? I don't think I've ever seen a "warblers of Iowa" book....could be a niche market for you :)

PhilCook
01-03-2013, 02:16 AM
Sweet bird !...re-post has improved in color and detail I think, but original was still very nice. Great side on pose, and nice perch too

Jon Swanson
01-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Shawn,

I did use playback for this bird. It only worked a couple times and then I left him alone. If you walked the trails of the park they are pretty common. The Ceruleans maintained their usual sentry at the top of the oaks :( But it is a very unique area in SE Iowa as along the Mississippi it is very good and there are the largest tracts of public land....and friendly birders too.