PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year's Gift

Arthur Morris
01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
This drake Long-tailed Duck image was created on the recently concluded Barnegat Jetty IPT with the tripod-mounted Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS lens, the Canon 1.4x EF teleconverter, and the Canon EOS-1D X digital SLR . ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/1000 sec. at f/9 in Manual mode. Central sensor (by necessity)/AI Servo Expand/Rear Focus AF active at the moment of exposure. The AF sensor was on the water below the side of the bird’s breast where the black meets the white; don’t ask me why the eye is sharp…. Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/09/13/rear-focus-tutorial/) if you missed the Rear Focus Tutorial.

Dealing with choppy water and fierce winds with gusts up to 50mph made it difficult to avoid getting knocked on your butt on the jetty. Trying to get the AF sensor squarely on the bird with the bird anywhere in the frame was a great challenge. Photographing swimming sea ducks is often difficult on windless days…..

The bird was much too high in the original frame. You can see the original in my blog post here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/12/29/how-did-i-get-from-a-to-b/). I asked folks how I got from A to B, how I created some extra space above the bird while reducing the size of the reflection below the bird to create a more pleasing composition.

On New Years Day, I posted a free Photoshop tutorial video showing exactly what I did. You can read the whole story and see the free video by clicking here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/01/01/free-photoshop-tutorial-video-i-how-did-that/).

As for the optimized image above, don't be shy; all comments are welcome. And all have a great and healthy 2013.

Tony Whitehead
01-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Great images to start the year, Artie. Everything that you would wish for yourself for 2013. Loved the video.

dankearl
01-01-2013, 09:21 PM
You did a very nice job with the conditions, although if I hadn't read your blog, I would have thought it was very nice anyway.
I liked the full frame actually with just a bit off the bottom.
The wave is very nice, it seems the duck is just hanging on.
The water just below the duck is super, looks like crystals.
It conveys the stormy conditions very well.

Allen Sparks
01-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Hi Artie, I really like this image and how the bird is riding near the top of the wave. The texture of the rolling water adds an interesting aspect as well.

Jon Swanson
01-01-2013, 11:18 PM
I think the rough water is how I see these birds most of the time on Lake Superior. And the whites and blacks look excellent as well!

Robert Holguin
01-02-2013, 01:27 AM
Wonderful shot.
I really like the wave the duck is riding. It really shows the conditions you describe.
Great pose and exposed very well.
Very well done.

Karl Egressy
01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
The looking at you pose is excellent. Exposure is right on. Love the stormy looking water. Great work keeping the duck in focus in extreme conditions, Artie.

Satish Ranadive
01-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Arthur Sir:
Magnificent image.Love the pose,colors,great details,waves in the water and composition.
Wish you Very Very Happy New Year.
Thank you very much for wonderful gift, beautiful video.

Regards,
Satish.