PDA

View Full Version : The Rock......

Andrew Aveley
01-01-2013, 02:21 PM
I have spent some hours here over the last 2 weeks and got some creative compositions. This is the last image I shot for 2012. Included in the visits here I shared it with Morkel Erasmus one afternoon in pouring rain and lightning.....epic light but trying conditions. This was a few days later and what I had been hopping for for some time.

Canon 5D MK 3 , 16-35 MK 2, @16 mm , ISO 100 , 2.5 Sec , Reged Traveler Tripod & Ball Head , Lee 0.9 Soft Grad , LR 4 with Single Exposure

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1796"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Roman Kurywczak
01-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Beautiful light and feel and the comp works very well too! Colors in the sky look close to the edge.....but definitely could be a result of downsizing. All in all a fantastic image to end 2012 and here's to a very productive 2013!!!
PSYou need to get yourself a lightning bug to capture that lightning!

Morkel Erasmus
01-02-2013, 02:16 AM
This is what I was hoping for at Castle Rock too! Seems like you have a new favourite close-to-home location Andrew. Was this piece previously always underwater? You said something about this part of beach being exposed for the first time?

Lovely work. Agree with Roman some of the colours look close to being clipped (orange/yellow and white for example) but I think it will show in PS to be within the 255 range :w3.
Did you apply lens correction in LR4? I see some cyan CA on our LHS of the rock...:e3

Andrew Aveley
01-02-2013, 03:00 AM
Thanks guys !! Thanks for pointing out the CA (here a halo) , its just on the web size file and am working on finding a suitable sharpening resize method to avoid "halo" in it . The colours are as they were with the humidity was intense like the day you shot there. I am sure it can be balanced out a little for web but the HR file is very bright and balanced !

Yes the FG here with the sand has to my knowledge (since 1984) never been as filled up with sand as it is now. The muscle banks have always been there but with deep channels of water crashing into a 2 m face of rock so to see all those filled up with sand extending out nearly 50 m into shallow sandbar is awesome. I have one or two more angles I want to work but the tide is only right mid January so i hope the spring Tides don't remove any of this deposited sand :)

Jerry van Dijk
01-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Lovely scene of a special place. I would prefer a little more structure in the clouds, especially since the long exposure time blurred the clouds a little. Here, I made a crude adjustment using the grad filter in ACR to add a considerable amount of clarity and some sharpness just to show what I mean.

Rachel Hollander
01-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Hi Andrew - Lovely scene and good suggestions above for tweaking an already beautiful image.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew Aveley
01-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Awesome comments and direction given , thanks you kindly