PDA

View Full Version : Baby Flamingo (C)

Robert Holguin
12-31-2012, 03:21 AM
Hello everyone. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea cause it's a captive bird, but I had never seen a new born flamingo. I really loved how the parent would stand guard and not let any other flamingo come close. This was taken this summer at the San Diego Zoo.
C&C welcomed and encouraged.
Nikon 300s l Nikon 300 F4 l ISO 640 l 1/1600 l F8 l Multi Segment l Manual l HH. <!-- attachments -->

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2512"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Stu Bowie
12-31-2012, 03:48 AM
Hi Robert, I havent seen a Flamingo chick either, and you have captured a good HA. The soft plumage shows up nicely. Its amazing how tall and gangly they grow up to be. You probably left the parents foot in to reinforce the protection, but if this were mine, I would maybe remove it.

There is nothing wrong in posting captive subjects, as long as it is disclosed as you have done. Not sure if anyone would ever get to see a baby flamingo in the wild anyway. :w3

gail bisson
12-31-2012, 06:49 AM
Very cool image!
I would include all of the feet myself and that would allow for a landscape format with the chick looking to the right.
I really like the pop of pink against the sand.
Gail

Chris Martinez
12-31-2012, 08:47 AM
I think this might be stronger if you included both of the adult's feet. Doing so would give us a better sense of the adult standing guard over the youngster.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
How sweet to get the chick. I would really like to have seen both of the adults feet in the image that would help tell a complete story.

Robert Holguin
12-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Thank you all very much for all the comments. Unfortunately there is no more of the parent's feet. I decided to clone them out.
How does this one look?

Chris Martinez
12-31-2012, 07:08 PM
I think you have a slight magenta colour cast(noticeable in the sand)
Perhaps a 4x3 ratio, trimming a little off the top and bottom, would further strengthen the second image. Might just be my personal preference though.

David Salem
01-01-2013, 03:30 AM
I like the re-post better. Never seen a baby before. Very cute but gangly. Techs look good. Nice job. TFS