PDA

View Full Version : Hasdeztwazi "Doorway"

David Kennedy
04-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Canon 5D, 16-35mm f/2.8 L II @ 16mm
Exposed 2.5 seconds @ f/22, ISO 160
Lower Antelope Canyon Navajo Tribal Park (Hasdeztwazi), Page, Arizona

This is almost entirely "out of the can." I've cropped it and adjusted the Exposure slider and that's about it (of course, I'm also still out here in Page, Ariz. and my laptop doesn't have the world's best screen!!! One thing I wish I had done (and tried today when I returned to Lower Antelope for a second tour) was to smooth out the footprints in the sand.

I'll be posting about it later, once I return from the Southwest, but I'm using a 16-35 II from Canon Professional Services and, so far, I've been impressed. It's not perfect (it's not the Nikon 14-24mm . . . . .) but it's certainly better than my 17-40mm, and the extra width does help. Dad has been using his 17-40 and the differences in the possibilities between 17mm and 16mm are interesting.

John Cooper
04-27-2008, 02:20 AM
I like the design in your composition here David. Exposure well handled with no real hot-spots. The small gap in the rock running from top down into main chamber makes it for me!!
Agree with you about the foot prints - the same problem I experienced when photographing the Pinnacles in West Australia :(

Vincent Grafhorst
04-27-2008, 04:31 AM
Awesome photo David. When I first saw it I was thinking why you did not get rid of the footprints, unless it was intentionally part of the image... Love the composition and the natural colors.

Michael Pancier
04-27-2008, 07:02 AM
glad you made it to lower. I found better photo ops there than in upper.

If you have access to a fisheye or 15mm lens, it's a lot of fun there too.

Bob Ettinger
04-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Good one and until you mentioned it I did not realize those were footprints but thought that was just the pattern in the sand

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi David,
I know footprints are a big problem there and it would be interesting to see the next post and see if you smoothed them out. I still like it overall as the footprints are not a distraction to me. I think 1 set of footprints might be interesting too.
Nicely done and enjoy the rest of the trip,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Works for me David. Nice flow to the lines in the image - guides you right through.

Phil Colla
04-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Well done, I know that spot and you image is a great composition of it. The footprints do not detract, in my opinion.