PDA

View Full Version : Theme Red-kneed Dotterel (Erythrogonys cinctus)

Charlie Schwencke
12-30-2012, 06:46 AM
Well finally got the chances to get out with the camera have been very busy with work leading up to Christmas.
Have just got home from a few days away at the Mother-in laws, This is the first time I have been able to get close to these little birds, not to mention a half descent photo.
Would like to know what people think of the OOF foreground? should I trim a little off?

Name: Red-kneed Dotterel (Erythrogonys cinctus)
Gear: Pentax K200D and Sigma 150-500mm @ F6.3 1/2000 ISO400 500mm handheld
PP: Adobe Raw, shadows, blacks, vibrancy, highlights, curves, levels, sharpen, tiny crop.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8351/8324470347_fb3ab1237c_b.jpg

Randy Stout
12-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Charlie:

Your bird is sharp, well exposed except for a few small areas of the whites that don't show any detail. Pleasing angle in the frame, good catchlight.

The biggest concern for me is the OOF rock in the foreground. I would try to tone it and the rest of the OOF foreground down a bit, lower the luminosity, which helps them recede a bit visually, and not compete so much with the bird.

For personal taste, I would also trim a bit off the top.

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
12-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Hi Charlie,
A new species for me.
I like the IQ in the blacks and would try to extract a bit more detail on the hot whites.
I find that large OOF rock and the straggly OOF bits of grass distracting.
I would clone them out (if not against your ethics.) and allow the bird to shine through,
Gail

Marina Scarr
12-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Great to see a new special. Nice angle and colors. Could probably get a little more details out of the whites if you went back to the RAW file. Agree on the OOF rock and hints of grass but still a good image.

Charlie Schwencke
12-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm still new to the whole PS and ACR so could someone explain the best way to get more from the whites?

Thanks Charlie

Karl Egressy
12-30-2012, 08:38 PM
very nice shot as far as the bird and water goes Charlie. I was thinking about the OOF forground but I couldn't make up my mind.
It gives you a sense of three dimension but on the other hand this is where your eyes go first. Try to trim it back and see how it works out.

Charlie Schwencke
12-30-2012, 08:51 PM
very nice shot as far as the bird and water goes Charlie. I was thinking about the OOF forground but I couldn't make up my mind.
It gives you a sense of three dimension but on the other hand this is where your eyes go first. Try to trim it back and see how it works out.

Thanks Karl I have reposted a trimmed back OOF forground.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8501/8327346933_a36693b42b_b.jpg