PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Morning On The Beach

Don Lacy
12-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Christmas morning at one of my favorite beaches.

1DMKIII, 17-40 f/4 at 20mm( the lens correction tab in ACR or the DLO function in DPP do a great job correcting the short comings of this lens), 15s at f/22, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, 2 stop hard edge Singh- Ray Grad and Polarizer, ISO 50,

In post I cloned out one small rock that was at the edge of the frame and a very small crop.Not sure how familiar most people are with Adobe ACR but the second to last tab is called camera calibration and the default setting is Adobe standard if you go to the drop down menu you can pick from several different settings that are named the same as Canons picture styles and pretty much mimmic the same effect that Canons picture style have on the image, I find that the landscape choice really pops an image. I also broke down and finally bought Niks Color Efexs pro 4 and used a very light touch of tonal contrast on this image.

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2775" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Jerry van Dijk
12-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Hi Don, this is a lovely scene. Very nice balance between the exposure on the FG and the BG and the rocks provide an interesting subject. I do think that the rocks could use a little extra sharpness.

Don Lacy
12-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Hi Don, this is a lovely scene. Very nice balance between the exposure on the FG and the BG and the rocks provide an interesting subject. I do think that the rocks could use a little extra sharpness.
You are right I posted an unsharpened image by mistake here is the version I should have posted :e3

Jerry van Dijk
12-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Hey Don, the rocks look much better, but I liked the soft look of the sky in the original. Maybe use selective sharpening on the FG alone?

Morkel Erasmus
12-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Lovely mood and colours here, Don.
Even in your repost, the rocks aren't sharp enough for my taste - a round of selective sharpening on the FG alone should do the trick :w3
Some of the whites in the sky just above the cloud line are borderline blown for me (though I didn't pull it into PS and they might be fine), would tone them down slightly (being careful not to lose the rising sun feel).
I really like that you have a "silky" look the the ocean with some detail on the water retained.

Looking forward to what you post in 2013, enjoy the New Year's celebration! :5

Andrew Aveley
01-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Agree on the suggestions above but like the composition and balance here !!

Roman Kurywczak
01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Great mood and colors Don! Love the repost as it took care of any issues I had.

Rachel Hollander
01-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi Don - late to this one but a lovely scene and well captured. RP works but agree that you can sharpen the rocks even a bit more.

TFS,
Rachel