PDA

View Full Version : Lion Protrait

Jared Gricoskie
04-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Here in Boulder, as the sun was shining and flurries were falling I played in the yard and found some European wildflowers blooming (aka weeds). I don't recall seeing many shots of these interesting flowers. I never realized the pistols were curled like this.

Just got a set of plamps and new 22" and 12" silver/gold reflectors and though they haven't revolutionized my macro they definitely help.

I tried shotting with my acra-swiss B1, and my wimberley 1 head and found that even though the Wimb doesn't get as low as the B1 can, the B1 doesn't have the complete and easy control 1:1 macro needs. The B1 always creeps, and then there is the flopping. The B1 will be my landscape head and thats it.

D300, Sigma 150mm, f20, 1/15, ISO 400, fill flash -0.7 diffussed, silver/gold reflector, tripod with wimberley head.

Robert O'Toole
04-27-2008, 08:46 AM
I really like this jared, when you see the thumbnail it looks like a typical image, when you see this full size image it is actually looks very different. The DF and the fine details look great. The curly details look amazing. Thanks for all the tech info.

This is rare but I think a square crop might make the image even better.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Hi Jared,
Is this a dandelion??? I've gotta' go check. Agree with Robert that a square comp may emphasize the details.

Jared Gricoskie
04-27-2008, 09:33 PM
This is a Common Dandelion.

I thought about the square comp, a route I go with flowers often but I wanted to keep the lion teeth ray edges to allow for identification.

Where would recommend cropping to square?

Mike Moats
04-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Hey Jared, very nice details and color.

Don Lacy
04-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Lovely color and detail, when I got my RRS BH-55 I had the same issue and was disappointed until i realized that it was not the head but movement in the lens collar and lens mount as pressure was removed from them when I let the camera go. I now use the release plate to position the camera and no longer have to deal with the framing changing when I go to shoot.