PDA

View Full Version : Army or Driver ants

Jonathan Ashton
12-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Tripod Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro fill in flash -1.3
Driver or Soldier ants were a fairly common site, frequently seen traversing footpaths, these were in Abuko forest. The big soldier ants on the outer edges have relatively enormous jaws and can inflict a painful and often septic bite.
It wasn't long at all before they began to investigate my tripod legs and they got uncomfortably close to my feet so please excuse the fact that there is no composition or particular close up element to the image, it was a case of just getting an image and recording one of their drives through the forest before they showed too keen an interest in me! Having taken a quick snap I moved back and just watched them, within seconds the ants on the edge nearest to me focused their attention elsewhere. The trail was never ending, after a few minutes I moved on but they were still marching, I have never seen so many in all my life.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2210"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Steve Maxson
12-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Hi Jon. Pretty impressive swarm of ants - and I realize this is just a tiny fraction of the colony! It's good that you backed away as many of these types of ants pack a potent sting in addition to their bite! Good job with the lighting and sharpness. The pano crop works well here. I like that we can see the various sizes (or castes) that make up the foraging swarm. Very nicely done!

Roman Kurywczak
01-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Hey Jon......very nice capture of something often overlooked. Nice to see you pushing your photographic vision as well. Looking forward to more of your posts in 2013 as well!

bhavya joshi
01-03-2013, 10:00 AM
yes.. very well captured.. someone comes in between it will be vanished.:) honest speaking if I am scared from somebody its 'ant.' one single ant can make you dance...:bg3:
Thanks for sharing..

Bob Miller
01-11-2013, 05:52 PM
HI Jon.....thanks for posting this...I have never seen anything like it! Interesting!