PDA

View Full Version : Romantic Lions near dusk.

Steve Uffman
12-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Finally finding some time to work on my Africa images from August.

This image was taken at the Masai Mara out of Alex Walker's Nkromobo Serian as we were arriving late in the day.

Lions are a pair that had been mating in the tall grass.

Canon 1dx with a 70-200L + 1.4x TC @1/500 sec at f/5.6 ISO 800. Shot before the firmware fix was available addressing the focusing issues that the 1dx had with the TCs...

IMO softer focus seemed okay here. I know that the grass is distracting on the lions face but was not really able to remove it to my satisfaction...and the grass colors IMO seemed complimentary to the mood.

LR4, CS6, Nik Color Efx Pro 4, Arash's Sharpening techniques.

http://blackpearl.smugmug.com/Favorites/Favorite-Images/23735869_Rp3QK9#!i=2292938391&k=kvmDtSK&lb=1&s=X3 for larger view.

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2754" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
12-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Hi Steve - Glad to see you're getting around to your Africa images and posting some here. It's a nice moment and they look relaxed. Aside from the issues of the softer focus and grass that you have already pointed out, I think the image is too tight on the bottom. Also I would prefer for the tail of the lioness not to be cut-off. I would also drop the reds a bit and maybe even the yellows. I hope to see more from your trip soon.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Uffman
12-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks Rachel...agree completely with the tail and room at the bottom....did not get it right in the camera...... It was a late evening shot as you can see so I experimented a bit to try something unconventional...I actually added the red for a bit more drama through the Indian summer filter/recipe I have in Color efex pro 4....

Robert Amoruso
12-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Steve,

I think the issue here revolves more around the DOF at f/5.6. Assuming 20 feet to subject and 200mm focal length, DOF is 1 foot (50% in front and behind subject). So if you focusing on the male, the female is going to be soft. www.dofmaster.com for the calculations.

I like the image and have no issue with grass in front of the face. As mentioned a bit more room bottom and left (for the tail) was needed.

Steve Kaluski
12-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Hi Steve, I really like the colour balance on this and the content depicts what lions do best, laze around. Parking the main issue to one side, for me the focus is on the male, with the female OOF, therefore I would prefer the male to be sharper rather than softer which is achievable with a bit more USM, but it's down to what you wish to portray. I too agree, the grass is not an issue.

Steve just curious, I thought the focusing issue was when you used the 2x with the bigger prime lenses, never found an issue with the set up described, well only when the lens was out of kilter and was rear focusing, easily fixed. :S3:

Look forward to more.

TFS
Steve

Steve Uffman
12-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi Steve, I really like the colour balance on this and the content depicts what lions do best, laze around. Parking the main issue to one side, for me the focus is on the male, with the female OOF, therefore I would prefer the male to be sharper rather than softer which is achievable with a bit more USM, but it's down to what you wish to portray. I too agree, the grass is not an issue.

Steve just curious, I thought the focusing issue was when you used the 2x with the bigger prime lenses, never found an issue with the set up described, well only when the lens was out of kilter and was rear focusing, easily fixed. :S3:

Look forward to more.

TFS
Steve

Thanks Steve....I got the 1dx two days before I left to go to Africa so did not have time to work it through the paces.....I had two 5dIIIs which performed admirably but was frustrated when I returned home and could see the differences on all 1dx shots with either of the TCs and the 70-200. When I got back, Canon had released firmware 1.06 which covered both TCs with that lens. Firmware 1.06 corrected the issue plus I have calibrated the camera with all the lens combos so no issues now....

My wife took the same shot with a rented 5dIII with the 70-300 and its much sharper but also I had set her up on f/8 for pretty much everything.

From Robert
"Steve,

I think the issue here revolves more around the DOF at f/5.6. Assuming 20 feet to subject and 200mm focal length, DOF is 1 foot (50% in front and behind subject). So if you focusing on the male, the female is going to be soft. www.dofmaster.com (http://www.dofmaster.com) for the calculations."

To Robert's point about DOF, he is correct and something I need to make top of mind on these sorts of shots...I have the DOF master and think of it more on landscapes and such....This actually was a good "thump" on the head by Robert as I pretty much think exposure first, ss, ISO and DOF for background...and not all that I should be on DOF.....Robert taught me this in one of his workshops but I have not made it routine...will do now.

EOS-1D X Firmware Update Version 1.0.6

Firmware Version 1.0.6 incorporates the following fixes.

Fixes a phenomenon such that when using the camera with combinations of certain lens and extenders, the images captured become back-focused.(EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM or EF200mm f/2L IS USM When used with the Extender EF 1.4x III or Extender EF 2x III).

Steve Kaluski
12-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Cheers Steve, seems you are now ALL SET and good to go with both kit & fixes.

I really like the 1DX because of the natural colours and the flexibility when using high ISO, coupled with the MKIV which gives me the additional reach. :w3

Steve Uffman
12-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Steve, I like the 1dx a ton.....did shoot a number of low light images with the 1dx during a wildebeest crossing near dusk....The high ISO was amazing IMO....plus now that I am more familiar with the camera and everything is calibrated, AF issues are not much of a problem ...and I like the 5dIII a bunch..I kept it with the 500 and a TC most of the time and Africa and handheld the 1dx......I set my wife up with a rented 5dIII on Auto ISO with f/8 and a reasonable shutter speed and she took great images in Africa...interestingly, often at ISOs much lower than my normal 400 or 800 I was using as a default....

Steve Kaluski
12-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Interesting Steve, I have never used Auto ISO, guess it's what you are used too, but a good idea for your wife, takes a lot of stress out of things. :Whoa!:

BTW may give the 'indian summer' filter a whirl. Not a great one for 'fiddling' but it might be worth a punt and to see the results. :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
12-30-2012, 05:19 PM
I can't add anything that's not been covered by now, Steve. I am looking forward to more from your African trip, and I'm sorry to hear you lost some images due to the firmware issue.