PDA

View Full Version : Bird Photography using a Utility Vehicle

Henry Domke
12-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Any comments on photographing song birds from a utility vehicle?

I know many bird photographers have found that cars work well as blinds.
I have access to a rural property where I can use a utility vehicle; a four-wheel drive Polaris Ranger.
That strikes me as much more useful than a car because the utility vehicle is intended for off-road use. Because of the low pressure tires it tends not to leave ruts so it can be used when the ground is wet.

I'm hoping others can share their experiences and help me answer questions like:
1. How important is camouflage?
What kind of camouflage would work best?
As in the attached picture, the vehicle has no roof and no doors.

2. Thought on how to support my 600mm lens?
With no doors there is no place to put a beanbag.
I was wondering about a monopod.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome!
Henry

David Stephens
12-28-2012, 12:33 PM
I have found that shooting from my "car-blind" works extremely well with most species of birds. I think that one key is that your silhouette of your head is broken by the car. With the vehicle that you propose, I'd want some canvas over the top.

Another factor may be, "are the birds and wildlife acclimated to vehicle traffic. When I shoot from my car-blind it's usually in a state or national park where there's lots of car, bicycle and running traffic. The birds have been accustomed to traffic and cars being non-threats. If you were in deep woods, where there's little traffic, I'm not sure how the birds will react.

If you have the 600f4-II, then I'd suggest simply handholding. If you've got the older version, then stretch something between the roll cage front and mid-section. Maybe an extended monopod could be tied in there.

David Stephens
12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Henry, looking at your excellent PGT site, I would be surprised if you haven't already set up some permanent blinds in there. If not, I'd suggest seriously that you consider it and even consider offering seasonal hide photography outings for fee, such as done by http://www.naturephotographyhides.co.uk/ Setting up hides for raptors, such as nesting great horned owls in February through April, could generate added revenue and lead to some exceptional photography. Your ponds and beaver lake would provide all kinds of hide photography opportunities. You could do set ups for hummers and songbirds with a pond in the BG. Besides the referenced guys in the UK providing hides, I know of several ranchers in South Texas that are providing hides with set up to catch the spring migration through there. Your migration may not be as strong, but you'll have plenty of opportunities for hide shooting.

James Fuller
01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
I shoot from a Kawasaki mule in South Texas and have had great luck. I set the tripod up on the floor of the passenger seat and it works well. I tried to shoot from a Polaris Ranger a couple weeks ago but had trouble arranging my tripod due to the smaller floor space and they also idle a lot rougher...creating a lot of vibrations so I had to turn it off for every shot.

Don Nelson
01-03-2013, 12:44 AM
Henry
Presuming the vehicle chosen has a rollbar cage similar to this -- get two of these double super clamps http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-038-Double-Super-Clamp/dp/B00097D5RE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1357191449&sr=8-9&keywords=superclamp+manfrotto plus a wooden 6 or 8 foot closet rod from Home Depot. This will make a convenient cross bar over the door opening. The pair of clamps are attached together by a stud, and can be loosened to rotate the heads for sloping tubes (so its not a permanent 90 degree solution which would limit where you could clamp a crossbar).

On this, another superclamp and stud to a wimberley II head (or other) will get you a decent place to hard mount (but not permanently) a camera platform.

Why wood closet bar and not metal tube? Wood will dampen some of the vibrations. But I'm betting you will have to shut down the engine.

Also the rollbar from makes a convenient place to attach some die cut camo cloth -- will keep you somewhat invisible. Pull down a piece over the front when you get close to your target but keep the sidewalls on while driving.

Sounds like a great vehicle for off road work on ranches, particularly if it does not rut the mud
Don