PDA

View Full Version : White Breasted nuthatch

Grace Scalzo
12-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Had a nice couple hours with fellow BPN member David Salem this morning at Morton NWR on Long Island. Great company and great birds.

Canon 1Dmk4, 500 f4 + 1.4tc
1/640, f 5.6, iso800

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1775"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

PhilCook
12-26-2012, 05:43 PM
I presume this is a natural feeding habit/posture for these little birds Grace ?

Lovely little bird, and liking the earthy brown tones, lacking a little detail I think, but I wonder if Arties { or others } editing techniques would help tease out a little more detail.

gail bisson
12-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Sweet image.
The comp is perfect ( you are the queen of comp!) and I like the light and the earth tones very much.
The texture of the wood is great and I like the motion in the forward foot. It lets the viewer feel how quickly these little guys move,
Gail

dankearl
12-26-2012, 08:29 PM
I like the wood and the Bg and the pose.
The SS was not fast enough for me, the motion blur I think is too much.

Nick Palmieri
12-26-2012, 09:21 PM
The composition, tones, and BG are very nice. I agree with Dan that there may be a bit of motion blur.

Karl Egressy
12-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Nice pose and beauty background, Grace. Maybe more canvas on the left? I find the picture a little too narrow.

Robert Holguin
12-27-2012, 04:52 AM
Wonderful shot.
I really like the background and the light. Great comp, great IQ, and Im with Dan as far as the SS goes.
Well done.

David Salem
12-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Nice looking shot grace. The lighting , pose and the perch are great and I like the comp too.
Thanks again for a great time and being a gracious host. Great spot you have.
Can't wait to get back to California to process my shots too.

Grace Scalzo
12-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone. I agree 100% that this is not the best quality. SS a bit slow, and more of a crop than I like. Kind of a fun pose, so thought I'd share. Right back at you David, you are most welcome. Despite the overcrowding and rather bad rep that Long Island has, there are quite a few sweet places to visit and it's fun sharing them with like minded people.

Daniel Cadieux
12-27-2012, 02:04 PM
I like the warm tones of the perch and BG, and the head looks quite sharp to me (no motion blur there). I'm OK with the blurry foot if that is what others are talking about, especially with the other one being sharp.

Joe Senzatimore
12-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Another great one Grace. Gotta love the BG.

Dennis Zaebst
12-27-2012, 07:37 PM
We've got a few around here too Grace (SW Ohio near Cincinnati). I love these "upside down" birds, as I was taught to call them in my college ornithology class. I have one that repeatedly comes to the safflower feeder in my back yard, then flies to a certain tree with a hole in it, and deposits the seed, then repeats this process all day (this is in late fall, early winter). I believe sure she is exhibiting the behavior of storing food for the winter. I noticed the entrance to the hole in which she was storing the seeds was too small for a squirrel...so she has learned that lesson!

As to the photograph, what a beautiful bird and great light. I am not bothered by the very slight blurriness of the one foot. Very well done, as I know how these guys never stop moving and this is a difficult shot.

Jon Swanson
12-28-2012, 09:44 AM
The light on the bird as well as the tree look great. The motion blur has been noted and I would consider a different composition where it isn't so narrow.

Satish Ranadive
12-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Grace:
Magnificent image with beautiful composition.
Love the pose,sharpness and lovely colors.

Regards,
Satish.

Shawn Zierman
12-30-2012, 05:08 AM
"Queen of comp"....I like that, and I think it's a fitting title for you.
You have captured some essence of this specie's behavior, which frankly,
does not come through all that well in static portraits. The motion blur
is definitely helping in that regard, as is the elongated pose of the bird.
The slim vertical comp. speaks further to the direction of travel imo,
and is effective to that end.