PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Ride

Kiran Khanzode
12-25-2012, 09:40 PM
At the peak of Haleakala National Park, Maui. That is the island of Hawai'i in the backdrop...

Shot against the light at 2pm. I usually disagree with the notion of shooting only early/late in the day.
EOS 5D Mk3, 70-300 L IS @ 300mm !!

Merry Christmas and Regards,
Kiran

<iframe src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1968" frameborder="0" height="60" width="468" scrolling="no">Sorry your browser does not support iFrame
</iframe>

Roman Kurywczak
12-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Hey Kiran,
Interesting perspective as you get a birds eye view and see the shadow of the clouds. Good choice of a pano crop to accentuate the lines and the chopper is in a decent position. While you may disagree with the notion of shooting early or late in the day.....the light here is what gives the scene an over flat look to it. The masters never said it was the only time to shoot but they did say that the "golden" hour was best as it provided the most dramatic light and we still can't replicate it with software......that is why even non photographers are drawn to sunrise and sunset because of the magical light. A good representation of the scene......maybe, as the lack of details could make this anyplace with a high vantage point......but the layering does work in this case but it would be interesting to see the same spot with the early or late light for comparison.

Jerry van Dijk
12-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi Kiran, I like the flatness Roman points out, because it adds to the abstract feeling that the colors invoke in this image. I'd be tempted to clone out the chopper for this reason.
The composition of the image could have been improved if you had waited for the chopper to be on the ROT sweet spot in the UR corner. Easy move in PS, by the way.

Robert Amoruso
12-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Without the helicopter this would not be as interesting an image. I feel I would have liked to see more of the ground if there were more cloud shadows to see.

Andrew Aveley
01-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Great advice given on a creative image. Great lens for compact landscapes !