PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe portrait

peter delaney
12-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Nikon D3S + nikkor 600mm lens , 1/1000 f8 iso 200

A colour image from me for a change!

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1704"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Stan Cunningham
12-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Peter, I like the high key portrait and the color in the eyes. Is it me or a function of the strong light but it looks like you have done some processing to make it look a little more like a painting than a photo. Cool look but could you go over what you did?

peter delaney
12-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Hi Stan

Thank you for taking time out to comment ..... Most of the images I make are to sell as prints. So I always try and be as creative as I can but keeping it photo realistic as much as I can. So my work is more about aesthetics than documenting .

This particular image is basically full frame . I ve always wanted an interesting Giraffe portrait but they are not the easiest subjects to capture aesthically . The background was very neutral due to haze of bush fire .

My workflow was just raw conversion in LR4 and then layer adjustments in PS5 , curves, hue/saturation , selective colour. On a separate layer I did some localized midtone adjustments and then sharpening using high pass ! That's it .

Am pleased with the result and it looks amazing on fine art print paper.

Thanks again hope my explanation helps.

Stan Cunningham
12-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks Peter, I bet it does look amazing as it's a beautiful shot.

Roger Clark
12-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Hello Peter,

Nice image, but with the sun more than 90 degrees to your right, the giraffe's face is mostly in shadow. In particular, the eye is pretty dark. I would try and lighten the face especially below the eye and eye itself. Nice image and nice composition.

Roger

Rachel Hollander
12-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Hi Peter - I like the simplicity of the comp and the high key works well here. Nice to see you posting a color image every once in a while too.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
12-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Hi Peter, you certainly have mastered the rich tone & toning techniques of your images extremely well and giving them a very distinctive and unique flavour. The pure white really helps echo this, with simplistic composition (which is not always easy).

BTW how are you doing with the Hippo image and appreciate your comments on previous images too. :w3

TFS
Steve

Dave Mills
12-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi Peter, Agree with Roger regarding the lighting but overall you came up with a pleasing image. If this were mine I would take some off the right. By viewing some of your previous images you appear to like alot of negative space. ...

Morkel Erasmus
12-30-2012, 03:46 PM
I like the toning and the graphical feel here Peter. Creating compelling portraits of giraffe aren't easy... :5

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Hey Peter,
Very difficult subject handled very well! Agree with Roger on the eye area.....but this has a very interesting look to it. Very unusual and nicely thought out too!