PDA

View Full Version : Osprey at Sunset

Martin Dyer
01-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Ok - here goes for my first posting

Osprey at sunset in the Scottish Highlands taken a trout back to the nest for the chicks.

Image was taken in May last year with Canon1D mk2n, 500f4IS L + 1.4 EFTC

These birds are not that easy to get close to in the UK by comparison with the postings from US photographers that I have seen.

Went for a more arty visual approach to this image to suit the mood of the evening when I was there

Cheers

Martin

Axel Hildebrandt
01-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Very nice silhouette image. I like the wing position, open beak and the fish adds to it. The subdued BG colors complement it very nicely. I could see this as a tighter crop, but like it as is.

Hillebrand Breuker
01-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Nice silhouette of a species i would love to photograph. In the Netherlands they are very rare. Love the dramatic sky.

Arthur Morris
01-05-2008, 04:24 PM
I like it a whole lot. I prefer my silhouettes totally black. I just slid the shadow slider in levels to the right while holding the Alt Key down. When the silhouetted bird turns totally black, then it will be rendered (detial-less) black. The a bit of levels and Hue-Sat to yield the image below. The RAW capture is our digital negative.

later and love, artie

Sid Garige
01-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Martin,

what is the ISO settings for your image. silhouettes i go around 9000k to 9700k. At this color temperature system intensifies reds, oranges and yellows. It makes a lot of difference. Artie covered rest of the part.

Nice job.

Linda Robbins
01-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Martin -

I really like your image and the mood it conveys. The flight pose, especially with the bird carrying the fish, is really lovely as a sillouhette. Artie's suggestions are great, but I think I would prefer saturation somewhere between the two posts.

Linda

Martin Dyer
01-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Many thanks for all the feedback - it is very much appreciated

Arthur - also many thanks for the edit and your comments as well.

I agree with the black point .re levels on the silhouette.

The sat. is a just little too much for me, personally, and not as I remember the scene at the time, but it does add a greater sense of drama to what is, as I mentioned, a more artistic intent with this image.

Sid - the ISO was at 640 for this image.

Cheers and regards

Martin

Gus Cobos
04-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Very nice capture Martin... truly tells the story...:D