PDA

View Full Version : Peeps on the Beach

Henry Domke
12-22-2012, 10:04 AM
The photo was taken when I was walking the beach on Sanibel Island a couple weeks ago.
I know sunset shots are a cliché, but I couldn't resist.

Canon 5D3
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 II @ 70mm
Aperture f/13
ISO 800
Aperture Priority Exposure with no exposure compensation
AI Servo Focus

Global corrections were done to the raw file in Lightroom 3.
Local corrections (making the birds brighter) was done in Photoshop CS6.

I wonder if I should have taken the picture at f/16 to get more of the birds in focus.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1719"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Marina Scarr
12-22-2012, 07:08 PM
I think your DOF worked well for you here, Henry. I rather like this image. We see this scene so often at our local beaches but it's rare that anyone posts them. The only thing I would do to improve this image just a tad is to crop just a little from the bottom and the left to make that water line hit the bottom left corner of your image. Really like the pink hue on the wet sand!

Raymond Lee
12-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Great capture! I think f/13 is good enough. Ideally, I would include the sun and chop off the bottom a bit.

Satish Ranadive
12-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Henry:
Great scene captured with good DOF. Very nice colors.I like the golden reflection on water and busy birds.Very well done.

Regards,
Satish.

PhilCook
12-23-2012, 06:49 AM
I like it, a nice feel to this one...all we get our Seagulls on the beaches here....especially if one has Chips for dinner lol

Karl Egressy
12-23-2012, 01:22 PM
The light is great. i like the curving line of the shore with all the Shorebirds lit up by the sunset, Henry.

Richard Mc Donald
12-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Even though I more than enjoy a shot that includes habitat Henry this one unfortunately does nothing for me, there's nothing that stands out that makes the photo capture my interest.
A low angle from the sand would have done that.

Richard