PDA

View Full Version : Stranded Forever

Anette Mossbacher
12-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi to all,

this will be my last post for this year. This boat I found at the Skeleton coast in Namibia.
As far I know this was a French cable boat putting down cable in the ocean that we all are connected with phone and internet :Whoa!:
It burnt out not to long ago.

MK IV
EF 70-200mm L IS II
Used Lee filter Big Stopper and a soft ND gradient
ISO 50
f/32
69 seconds

Did most in camera RAW 7, PS curves, than used Silver Efex for B&W. No sharpening added at all.
C&C very welcome :bg3:

Wish you all A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year :bg3:

Ciao Anette

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2112"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Roman Kurywczak
12-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Hey Annette,
Very somber and cold feel to this. I generally prefer more contrasty B&W conversions....but this fits the scene well. My only recommendation would be for more of a pano crop as I feel it would emphasize the boat more and not take away from the overall mood.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family as well!

Anette Mossbacher
12-23-2012, 04:35 AM
Hi Roman,
I tried with the Pano crop, it looks quite a bit different :bg3: Many thanks that you took the time to comment before Christmas. I should have waited till Jan to post this one, forgot the Holidays. :e3
Thank you very much wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Ciao

Anette

Andrew Aveley
12-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Agree on the Pano crop......will draw more attention to the subject...... may h suggest a little more on the blacks to make it stand out even more. Subject seams a little soft but this maybe because of the long exposure and some movement in ship from waves

Enjoy the festive season

Morkel Erasmus
12-27-2012, 05:32 PM
I too would add some black here - just a touch so as not to lose the feel but add subtle punch.
I wonder if the softness of the ship is due to water movement as per Andrew or due to you not applying sharpening after resizing? Perhaps apply some and see? Unless this is what you were going for?

Jerry van Dijk
12-28-2012, 04:42 PM
HI Anette, you created a good atmopshere here. I agree on adding some black and sharpness to the ship.

Anette Mossbacher
12-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Thank you very much Jerry and Morkel. I did not sharpened, due I even could not see it sharp enough due the fog. Will repost one when I am back from our Ski Holiday. I will add a bit more black, I have seen it, but my thoughts have been like more foggy :))
thank you very much for your help.

Have a great Happy New Year

Ciao. Anette

Robert Amoruso
12-29-2012, 07:59 AM
I agree with the other, blacks need to be increased (Levels correction) and the boat sharpened (selectively). Pano crop best IMO for this image.

Rachel Hollander
12-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi Anette - I saw this ship too though not in as much fog. I think the suggestions above are spot on for taking this to the next level.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Lacy
12-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Very haunting image agree with trying all the suggestions above but not sure if they will result in a better image.

Grady Weed
01-03-2013, 02:36 PM
The hazy look, the crop is OK, but the blacks need to be upped. Other than that, a real winner. TFS. Sorry to be late to the party.

Anette Mossbacher
01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Hope everybody had a great start into the New Year 2013 :bg3:

As well, Thank you very much everybody for your suggestions.
Here the Pano with more blacks on the boat and sharpening.
For me I get the feeling that quite some mood got lost with sharpening, not so much with blacks. When I look through the fog, what I have done while skiing. The people on the slopes haven't been that sharp to me :bg3:
What do you think ?

Ciao
Anette

Jerry van Dijk
01-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi Anette, I like the black and sharpness on the boat in the RP, but I do feel that much of the desolate mood from this image has been lost by cropping too much from the top.