PDA

View Full Version : Common Redpoll

Nancy Bell
12-20-2012, 05:24 PM
These little birds must be showing up in many areas this winter as I see others are posting this same species. This is the first time I have had redpolls at my feeders :S3:. Photographed this during the big snowstorm yesterday that is now sweeping across the US. I was lucky and could photograph from my upstairs open window as the birds landed in nearby aspen trees, waiting for a turn at the feeders. I stay warm and the birds are not disturbed.

Canon ID Mark IV, Canon 400 f4 DO IS, 1/1000, f6.3, exp. comp. +1 1/3, ISO 800.

c & c most appreciated.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2492"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Don Nelson
12-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Nancy
Very nicely composed - I like the perch and especially the snowflakes. That perche is especially nice -- not just another straight stick diaglonally across the image.
This was done through glass? or open window?

Nancy Bell
12-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks Don. The window was open.

Shawn Zierman
12-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Excellent image. The falling snow is a very nice detail in the image.
The orientation of the perch is visually appealing. Redpoll looks good, nice
little fluffed up pose. I'll bet that pink wash on the chest really fills in more towards spring,
and this will be one fine looking male. Head angle is an issue here imo, would like to see
a bit more of head turn towards the viewer. Also looks like ideal light to pop a little fill flash
work into, to jazz up the lighting on the subject a bit.

Miguel Palaviccini
12-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Nancy, this is a very nicely composed image. The detail is superb, and (like Shawn and Don have mentioned), the perch is very appealing. The falling snow is great too, something we don't see at all here in FL ;) There does seem to be a faint vertical segment (could be a far away perch?), that I might remove if it were mine.

Karl Egressy
12-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Nice fluffy bird with excellent details and sharpness, Nancy. I also like the perch, and the falling snow.

Nick Palmieri
12-20-2012, 10:26 PM
The snow really adds to this. The detail in the bird, the BG, and the perch are all very nice. I am thinking the eye could be lightened just a tad. TFS

David Salem
12-21-2012, 01:33 AM
This is a real pretty shot. The exposure is nice and the detail is great. Wonderful wintery feel. Well done.

John Cooper
12-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Exquisite little bird Nancy and looks so very cold! Love the feather detail here and the fluffed-up plumage in an effort to retain body heat.
A beautiful winter scene complete with falling snow - a scene I only get to see on post-cards..!! TFS

Satish Ranadive
12-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Excellent image of Redpoll. Love the pose,colors,details and BG with snowflakes.

Regards,
Satish.

Grace Scalzo
12-21-2012, 08:36 AM
such wonderful feeling of cold. Love the little puffball, his perch, and the snow.

Nancy Bell
12-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Thank you all for your comments and observations. Shawn, I didn't think of flash. Good idea when the next storm comes through. Miguel, that faint shadow in the bkgd is another branch in the aspen tree. I thought about it but really liked the snowflakes in that section of the image. Nick, I did just a tiny bit of work on the eye to lighten it but that doesn't show in this web image. For those of you who don't see snow, it can be lovely, but usually cold too.

Daniel Cadieux
12-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Textbook ommon Redpoll image complete with winter weather. A better head angle would have made this image much stronger though. Hope they stick around for you...they are a treat to have in the backyard!

Karen Forderer
12-21-2012, 08:06 PM
I like the fluffed up feathers. They have great detail. The falling snow is a good feature. A little turn of the head towards the camera would have been nice. I saw these guys at my feeder a couple of years ago but not last year. None this year yet.

Robert Holguin
12-22-2012, 02:18 AM
Wonderful shot.
Love the snow fall really adds to the image.
Excellent details, I really like the perch , and great comp.
Well done.

Richard Unsworth
12-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Top shot Nancy

stands out in the crowd

Nancy Bell
12-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Daniel, I just put out a 2nd thistle feeder to encourage the redpolls to stay. Our local shrike also hopes the redpolls stick around as I have now seen it take two and come back for more. Thank you Karen, Roger and Richard. I am waiting for some cloudy weather to try for a better head angle. Although welcome for many reasons, the last few days of bright sun do not make for good bird photography.