PDA

View Full Version : lens hood canon 300mm f2,8

van bogaert erik
12-20-2012, 02:38 PM
hello, when i put the lens hood reverse on the lens i can still move the lens hood a little bit around or sideways, in the shooting position not , is this normal that the lenshood is loose when it is reverse on the lens ?

Grady Weed
12-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Yes. I have owned that lens for 7 years now. I usually do not have it on however. I keep it close at hand for use when I do need it.

John Chardine
12-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi Erik- Not sure why this happens. Have owned several Canon "super-telex" and have never seen this. The screw tightens a fillet into a groove in the lens and should act to hold firm the hood regardless of backwards or forwards mounting. BTW I have never used a super-tele without the hood mounted. The front element of the lens is "out there" and vulnerable to the direct light source and to damage if not protected.

van bogaert erik
12-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Hi Erik- Not sure why this happens. Have owned several Canon "super-telex" and have never seen this. The screw tightens a fillet into a groove in the lens and should act to hold firm the hood regardless of backwards or forwards mounting. BTW I have never used a super-tele without the hood mounted. The front element of the lens is "out there" and vulnerable to the direct light source and to damage if not protected.

john, i can not turn the hood around, only a little bit movement, when it is reverse, but it is not so tight as it is in the schooting position, .

arash_hazeghi
12-21-2012, 11:58 PM
it is normal, it is designed that way so in case of a shock or impact the hood would snap off instead of breaking.

PhilCook
12-22-2012, 03:13 AM
Sounds like the same as most long primes with big lens hoods, my 500, 300 and 200 are all the same

Charlie Woodrich
03-09-2013, 08:08 PM
When these arrive new there is some tape on the pin that secures the hood to the lens. If that is not removed the hood won't attach properly.