PDA

View Full Version : Say's Phopebe

Karl Egressy
12-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Another picture of the same bird from Bosque.
Thanks for looking.
Canon 1D MIV
Canon 500 f4.0 L IS + Canon 1.4 TC III
Playing his song was used as an attractant.

Manual setting
ISO 320
f 8.0
1/1600 s
Hand held (As I was afraid if I start setting up with the triopd, it would fly away)

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1775"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

gail bisson
12-19-2012, 09:19 PM
WOW! Love the perch and the light and the BG and the IQ.
I see a tiny OOF line at the bottom of the frame extending to the lowest branch and would clone or burn it out.
10 out of 10 on this one Karl!
Gail

John Cooper
12-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Quite exquisite Karl - love that perch, and the pose of the bird is most appealing against that killer BG. Top shot!
White line also noted at bottom of image.

Karl Egressy
12-19-2012, 09:48 PM
WOW! Love the perch and the light and the BG and the IQ.
I see a tiny OOF line at the bottom of the frame extending to the lowest branch and would clone or burn it out.
10 out of 10 on this one Karl!
Gail

You have amazing eye sight, Gail. Thanks for the comment I appreciate it. I think it could be an OOF Spider web. It has to go.

Henry Domke
12-19-2012, 10:05 PM
On my screen the bird seemed to lack some contrast so I reworked it. On my monitor it seems to "pop" a little better now. What do you think?

Karl Egressy
12-19-2012, 10:17 PM
The difference is very subtle at least to my eyes wich is good.
Thank you Henry taking your time and working on the image. I'm pretty sure I'll see the difference tomorrow morning much better when my eyes are not so tired.
For me it is time to go and have a rest.:S3:

Greg Oakley
12-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Very sweet image Karl - lovely work,
Cheers Greg

PhilCook
12-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Lovely comp and nice earthy colors, nice simplicity....not certain if I would add a contrast tweak or not.....it lacks a little punch as is, but the overall soft light has a certain nice feel as well.

Stu Bowie
12-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Hi Karl, great IQ here, and I really like how the perch extends into the center of the frame. Good look back pose, and all the earthy colours work well together. If anything, IF this were mine, I would take a bit off the RHS. :w3

I had a minute and came up with this. Cropped from the right, moved the clarity slider in ACR to +12, and ran a multiply blending mode over the whole image at 20%.

Satish Ranadive
12-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Karl:
Gorgeous image with superb balance between bird and perch.
Love the look back pose,colors,details and wonderful BG. Along with OP, I like the composition by Stuart Sir also.

Regards,
Satish.

David Salem
12-20-2012, 05:54 AM
very nice work on this 1 Karl. I like this species a lot and we have many of them here in the desert. Fun to watch them hunt. Great perch and pose. beautiful feather detail and clarity. very well done

Karl Egressy
12-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Hi Karl, great IQ here, and I really like how the perch extends into the center of the frame. Good look back pose, and all the earthy colours work well together. If anything, IF this were mine, I would take a bit off the RHS. :w3

I had a minute and came up with this. Cropped from the right, moved the clarity slider in ACR to +12, and ran a multiply blending mode over the whole image at 20%.

Thanks, Stuart.
I checked your steps you done to understand what was going on. I went to Adobe Light Room 4.0 and tried the Clarity slider. It looks like it is giving a punch to the colours. Then I checked multiple blanding in Adobe Photoshop CS5.
It looks like it darkens the image overall and enhences saturations.
I use other tools but it is always a good thing to learn what other people use and try to learn new ways.
Anyway, thank you very much, I learned something new.
I like your version too and thank you for your time.

Nick Palmieri
12-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Very nice pose. Love the perch and the BG. Sweet capture!

Shawn Zierman
12-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Awesome light quality, and the perch is killer. The bird looks excellent. The spider web(?) did not bother me a bit.
It's not like you set the perch up....if you had, I would expect a better orientation on the flower heads...I am slightly
curious about what that little blob of color is at the bottom of the frame under your copyright sign. I do like the slight
boost in the darks that was added in pane #5. Comp wise, I do enjoy the subtle tweak that Stuart rendered with his
crop. Head angle of the subject is the only weak spot of the image imo. If the bird turned it's head a bit more towards
it's back, I think that would have been better, though it's perfectly fine as is.

Daniel Cadieux
12-20-2012, 05:14 PM
This is a very elegant presentation Karl. I like it as is, but also think the additional suggestions have made it better. You had a very productive trip and showed us it's not only cranes and geese!

dankearl
12-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Super image Karl.
Great perch, light and pose.
I am surprised you didn't post this one the first time.