PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Blackbird

Shawn Zierman
12-18-2012, 11:34 PM
This image was made the morning of the first accumulative snowfall this past fall in Duluth, Minnesota.
For some reason, it makes me think of Halloween. Canon7d, Sigma50/500os, iso400, 1/250, f9, cropped,
selective NR to the background, USM. Comments and critiques always welcome.
Food was used as an attractant. The perch was set up.
Regards,
Shawn Zierman.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2045"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Don Nelson
12-18-2012, 11:59 PM
I like the perch and the way that you handled the upper part of the bird. By any chance, is there more in the raw that you could tease out on the tail and between the legs? Its more than a tad dark. It would certainly help this already nice image. Good head angle.

Bill Jobes
12-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Excellent work there, Shawn ... the highlight for me is the detail in upper feathers and, of course, the eye.

I agree tail detail would be nice, but understand if it can't be pulled out, as the light seems to be at a mid/high angle, to the back-right of it.

Stu Bowie
12-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Hi Shawn, well exposed on this fellow, sharp, and I like the inquisitive stare. Love the colours in the BG, and the snow on the perch adds interest.

arash_hazeghi
12-19-2012, 12:16 AM
nice pose, BG, details and eye contact. The blacks in the tail area are blocked, I would attempt to pull it up if it doesn't get too noisy.

John Cooper
12-19-2012, 01:42 AM
A nice set-up Shawn with a great result. The Blackbird has given a good pose for you and i love the accumulation of snow on the perch.
The bird is well named with that rusty colouration on the upper body and shows good exposure and feather detail. Love the BG which compliments the warm tones of the bird.
The dark tail is not an issue for me here.

PhilCook
12-19-2012, 02:11 AM
The tail is a tad dark, but I dont find it a problem, but no doubt to lighten it now will introduce graininess, so best left as is imo. The rest of the exposure with dark plumage is very well handled. The perch is great, especially the bits of ice. I'm not 100 % convinced on the cropped wide aspect composition though and wonder if a vertical comp may be better ?

Karl Egressy
12-19-2012, 03:04 AM
Excellent image, Shawn. The details and colours are coming through very nicely. Beauty backgrond, nice pose and composition. The hint of snow on the perch makes it more interesting.

David Salem
12-19-2012, 03:52 AM
Nice shot and scene. Exposed very well and great detail in the blacks. The pose and HA is nice and the perch with the snow on it is beautiful. Well done.

Mike Veltri
12-19-2012, 05:28 AM
Nice exposure Shawn.

christopher galeski
12-19-2012, 06:32 AM
nice image Shawn,like the BG,sharp with nice details,like the snow on the perch and pose.thanks.

Tim King
12-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Shawn, this is a great photo, nicely exposed. I like that fluffy shoulder. Would loosen up the crop if it were mine (and I wish it were). Fine job.

Nick Palmieri
12-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Nice capture, nice pose, and love the eye. Blacks have been mentioned but beautiful image!

Vivaldo Damilano
12-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Excellent capture Shawn, I would agree with above comments, love how the yellow eye stands out against the darker bird and BG.

Joe Senzatimore
12-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Well thought out and executed. Great detail and beautiful BG as well as sweet light.

gail bisson
12-19-2012, 01:00 PM
I really like the oranges and rusts and blacks in this shot. Love the eye.
The snow on the perch is a nice addition as well.
Issues with blacks addressed. I am not a great fill flash user but I wonder if a bit of fill flash would have helped with the tail?
Gail

Frank Schauf
12-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Beautiful portrait, great details and eye contact.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Nice perch, head turn, details and BG. liked it a lot.

If mine, I'd add some room around as the bird is a little big in the frame. And one more round of NR on the BG will help( or you might not need it if you crop loose)

Daniel Cadieux
12-19-2012, 08:03 PM
I could go for a looser crop, but man this is a fantastic Rusty Blackbird image! I find these guys tough to get in proper photographic range (especially off the ground!!) so I am loving looking at this beauty hanging from a beautiful perch. The snow is just a an additonal element to rub it in for me...:bg3:

Robert Holguin
12-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Very nice shot.
Wonderful background, terrific perch especially with the snow, great pose, and excellent IQ.
Well done.

Jim Crosswell
12-20-2012, 07:06 PM
I like the pose, snowy perch, sharpness, eye and BG. I would go a little looser with the crop as well. Still a beauty as presented. Well done Shawn!

Satish Ranadive
12-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Shawn;
Some how I missed this beautiful image.Every thing has been said about this image.
Love the pose,beautiful eye,nice perch with snow and lovely BG. Wish you could have used fill in flash.

Regards,
Satish.