PDA

View Full Version : Northern Saw-whet Owl

Tim King
12-18-2012, 12:55 PM
In my experience, the best time to photograph these owls is during migration.
They will migrate all night and then find their favorite pit-stop at dawn.
They immediately start hunting to refill their tanks. The hunt usually lasts a few hours (depending on supply).
This owl in particular caught and ate 5 mice not 5 feet from my boots, then saved one for later.
They have a drop-down approach to hunting and was amazing to watch these silent speedsters.
It never fully folded its wing while on that perch. I also have a photo of it bringing up a pellet a few frames later.
50D | 300mm F4L IS | HH | available light
ISO 640, F4, 1/100
March 25 2010 8am (I arrived at 6am)

I always forget my tripod.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2242"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
12-18-2012, 01:00 PM
This is an awesome shot Tim. Nice story as well.

Vivaldo Damilano
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
What a cool looking Owl Tim, love their yellow eye's and feather patterns. I also like the perch and catch, lovely story thanks for sharing.

Grace Scalzo
12-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Tim, nothing but accolades for this sweet image . Nice you had him in the open. Environs and prey complete it. Super well done .

Michael Gehrisch
12-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Outstanding composition. The light is perfect as is the placement of the mouse. Well done! We had a similar experience with a northern saw-whet owl in Homer a few years back. Beautiful birds.

arash_hazeghi
12-18-2012, 01:32 PM
excellent pose and the prey item adds a lot. I like those eyes. The head is sharp but the body and parts of prey look a bit soft/out of focus. Did you apply noise reduction to those areas ? It is strange because they appear to be within the DOF and should look sharper.

TFS

Miguel Palaviccini
12-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Wonderful image. I was stuck looking at the face and didn't notice the mouse just inches away! Would love to see more if you have them

Stuart Hill
12-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Great image, perfectly framed in the branches and with prey! Love it! And those bright eyes staring back too!

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Ah...excellent. the wider FOV of 300mm has created a very nice BG. loved the eyes. Terrific IQ. Well done...must have been very exciting.

Tim King
12-18-2012, 06:03 PM
excellent pose and the prey item adds a lot. I like those eyes. The head is sharp but the body and parts of prey look a bit soft/out of focus. Did you apply noise reduction to those areas ? It is strange because they appear to be within the DOF and should look sharper.

TFS
Thanks for the comment, Arash. The owl is leaning forward which puts the head and the branch in focus. No NR done.

Nick Palmieri
12-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Really sweet image! Those eyes just pull you in. The detail on the face is very nice.

John Cooper
12-18-2012, 06:20 PM
A stunning image Tim and I love those eyes and the detail shown in the facial-disc. The captured prey on the branch tells the story.
I envy you Tim witnessing the drama as it unfolded before you.

Henry Domke
12-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Love it! Wonderful picture.
One of my life's goals is to see a Saw-whet Owl.
Do you have any tips on finding them? Just yesterday I got an email with this suggestion:
The easiest place to find Saw-whets is in thick dense pines with numerous cones. These tend to be getting mature and dying in this area. The next type of habitat is dense stands of Cedar. Hmm.. I think you have that. There are certainly stands with great Saw-whets Owl potential near where you live. Normally, one crawls through the dense sections slowly watching for two things. First, the bird itself and second the whitewash and pellets below the roosting area. Sometimes you find Long-eared instead. Move slowly and quietly and the owls will stay unless you get too close before you see them.

Any suggestions from people on how I might be able to fine one of these owls would be appreciated!
Henry

Karl Egressy
12-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Great finding excellent description and a beauty shot of my NO. 1 favorite Owl.

dankearl
12-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I sort of like the not quite in focus body.
The face is striking.
Very nice opportunity and photo.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Wow what a face and the detail wheww. I really like the setting as well and the prey. I am a little distracted by the oof body part behind him more because I wonder what it is? Looking at your description I take it that is the wing? Well done HH at 1/100

Arthur Morris
12-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Spectacular capture, bird, and prey item with a light airy feel to the image. A bit more room above and right would not have hurt. Big time bummer about the unfolded wing....

Tim King
12-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Love it! Wonderful picture.
One of my life's goals is to see a Saw-whet Owl.
Do you have any tips on finding them? Just yesterday I got an email with this suggestion:
The easiest place to find Saw-whets is in thick dense pines with numerous cones. These tend to be getting mature and dying in this area. The next type of habitat is dense stands of Cedar. Hmm.. I think you have that. There are certainly stands with great Saw-whets Owl potential near where you live. Normally, one crawls through the dense sections slowly watching for two things. First, the bird itself and second the whitewash and pellets below the roosting area. Sometimes you find Long-eared instead. Move slowly and quietly and the owls will stay unless you get too close before you see them.

Any suggestions from people on how I might be able to fine one of these owls would be appreciated!
Henry

You should have these owls in your area overwintering right now. Almost all Saw-whets that I've photographed was near creeks, rivers and lakes. Your friends description is pretty good. Try looking in young pine trees (white pine, douglas fir, cedar and juniper) close to fields of wild seeding plants as these are prime habitat for voles, mice, shrew and mole. They are very small and can melt right into the tree, and they are not at all skittish if you keep your distance. Your climate is different than ours (not as cold) so I can't tell you what trees they will roost in. They could also roost in thorny, twine-like overgrown shrubs. Listen for skulking chickadees or other small birds as they will let the world know that there is a predator. Good luck.

Tim King
12-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Spectacular capture, bird, and prey item with a light airy feel to the image. A bit more room above and right would not have hurt. Big time bummer about the unfolded wing....

Forgot to mention that it is full frame and selected one shot on the bill.
Maybe next time I will bump up the ISO so I can have more DOF. Ya they have such a long wingspan and tuck in small places. I've got some good head-shots though : )
Thanks.

Stu Bowie
12-19-2012, 01:19 AM
Hi Tim, good introductory story, and I like how the owl pops from the surrounding foliage. Good eye contact, the head is nice and sharp, and his catch a bonus. I would try and blend in the highlighted areas in the top part of the BG.

PhilCook
12-19-2012, 02:02 AM
I think the slightly softer body brings a lot more attention to the facial region, and that's a plus I feel, those eyes are just stunning. My attention goes straight to the face and eyes, nothing else matters much imo....wonderful shot.

{ I do hope you check your boots before putting them back on in the morning :w3}

Morkel Erasmus
12-19-2012, 02:25 AM
Lovely owl here Tim - the prey adds a lot as does the soft muted light under the forest canopy.
I agree with Artie on needing more room on top and RHS but given this is FF not much ado about that.

Shawn Zierman
12-19-2012, 04:26 AM
Firstly, anyone who has spent time photographing this species is drooling right now!
The setting, light/airy open, the natural framing, the eye level intimate view of the owl
with the prey right next to it(!) Incredible. This is easily one of the best images of this
species I've ever seen on the web, and I've seen many. Ambient light for crying out loud!
Totally killer image of this owl sir.

Mike Veltri
12-19-2012, 05:17 AM
Sweet shot Tim, love the prey on the branch and your story about how the image was aquired.

Daniel Cadieux
12-19-2012, 06:51 AM
I don't have much to add to this fantastic image. Congratulations!!:cheers:

P.S. Most of the Saw-whets found around here are nestled close to the trunk of a cedar. Just another place to look for them...