PDA

View Full Version : More Leopard Antics (slight gore again)

Rachel Hollander
12-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Another one of the 8 month old leopard cub feasting on the impala kill up in the tree. This was actually after he had righted himself from hanging upside down. Apparently he doesn't mind eating in strange positions.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 120mm
1/200
f6.3
ISO 400
EC +.67
HH from safari vehicle, levels, curves, selective burning, dodging and color adjustments, sharpened in CS5/6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1719"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Steve Kaluski
12-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Hi Rachel, you could probably fill a book with this encounter, great find and he obviously enjoys having his photographs taken.

I think out of all of them, this is the busiest in terms of overall clarity, nothing you can do, but I feel everything is vying and your eyes is not drawn straight to the face. Perhaps just just knocking things back a fraction except for the leopard, then lifting the face with a channel layer and again perhaps adding a bit of brightness just to the eyes? Not saying that is right, just a thought, but again hope others chime in with thoughts too. Perhaps a hint of fill-in flash at a low setting may have worked, but then again, it may have spooked the subject?

A difficult shot to pull off, but you did it and the techs look good too.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
12-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Hmmm Steve, already did most of what you are suggesting to this version. Darkened the bg slightly, lightened the eyes and face, a little bit of extra contrast to the leopard. Maybe not enough?

Thanks,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
12-19-2012, 03:29 AM
Rachel my first thoughts echo Steve exactly (what is it with the 2 of us lately :w3).
I would suggest doing a bit more of what he suggested if you already applied some of it - see if it works?
A nice sighting well captured, but you know there are better frames from this one :bg3:

Stu Bowie
12-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Hi Rachel, an interesting feeding angle from the leopard cub, and great that we can see the eyes. Im sure you wouldnt have pressed the shutter if you hadnt seen the eyes. :w3 Looks like it was overcast, so well done on the exposure with the +EC.

Rachel Hollander
12-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks Morkel and Stuart. Here's a repost going a bit further with Steve's suggestions. WDYT?

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Hi Rachel, have you lightened everything, or just the Leopard as it's oh so subtle for me? :eek3:

Rachel Hollander
12-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Just the leopard and the branch that he is hanging on. +10 in brightness and another screen adjustment to the eyes.

Stan Cunningham
12-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Repost helped direct me to his face. Prefer it to the OP.