PDA

View Full Version : Australian Kestrel

John Cooper
12-18-2012, 03:12 AM
This was the second kestrel nest that i had the opportunity to photograph - this time in a more typical vertical tree-hollow.

A locust plague in full swing during the nesting period saw a constant supply of feed brought to the young every 5 mins or so.

EOS 5, EF100-300 F5.6L, ISO 100, 1/200 sec F11, Sunlight from the left (though the softer lighting here suggests a cloud has passed over the sun) Fill-flash, tower/hide, tripod.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1968"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

David Salem
12-18-2012, 04:21 AM
Great work on these Kestrels. Sharp, well exposed and good use of the fill flash. Like the look back stare with the locust in her mouth. Nice vert comp too. Well done.

PhilCook
12-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Agree, fill flash has worked very well, flashed but not obvious flash was used. Certainly making the most from these kestrels John, good stuff indeed....have to love the grasshopper in beak

gail bisson
12-18-2012, 06:35 AM
I think this is my favorite shot of the kestrel series.
I really like the softer light and the beautiful look back with the locust. My favorite part is the talons that remind me of a star.
IQ is excellent as well. This is a winner John,
Gail

Miguel Palaviccini
12-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Very nice use of fill on this image. The comp is great and the grasshopper adds an extra touch. The head angle is right on, too.

Vivaldo Damilano
12-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Excellent fill flash, good work getting in so close, the hide is working nicely for you. I also like the grasshopper well done.

Daniel Cadieux
12-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Beautiful. The pose, comp, details. Everything came together well here. The good use of flash even lit up the inside of the nest...nice. The eye ring may need a bit of minor work along the top to help where it is almost disconnected, at least for web posting. No biggie, just the sort of subtle detail that I'm freakish with!:S3:

Karl Egressy
12-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Great ooportunity and you used it very well John. Excellent shot. Is the catch kight in the eye is natural or created by fill flash or in PP?

John Cooper
12-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Great ooportunity and you used it very well John. Excellent shot. Is the catch kight in the eye is natural or created by fill flash or in PP?

Thank you for your comments Karl. The catch-light in the eye on this occasion came from the fill-flash.

Stu Bowie
12-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Hi John, the vertical comp really works well here, and well timed to get the lookback pose showing off the catch. Good use of fill flash, subtle, and another good eye level perspective from your tower.

Shawn Zierman
12-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Lovely portrait. I agree with Gail. The light quality here is excellent.
Love the look back pose/prey/perfect head angle.