PDA

View Full Version : Female white winged crossbill

Grace Scalzo
12-17-2012, 09:13 PM
From my weekend with Gail...we were so lucky, blessed with a great variety of birds. These seed eaters are visiting Long Island this winter. The story is that pine cone seeds up north are not good. This is a female. I have yet to get my dream image of this species. I like my bird, but would hope to get a bit cleaner bg before the winter ends. Light was harsh, but the good thing was that she was feeding at eye level. I'm only keeping the ones that feature the crossed bill, so this one fits.

I might add that one of my life's great blessings is the friends that I have made through my photography, the most recent being Gail. A kindred spirit and a joy to get to know.

1/640, f10, iso800
Canon 1Dmk4, 500 f4 + 1.4tc + tripod

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1775"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Karl Egressy
12-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Typical pose for this species and of course it is the typical perch. Great finding and a very nicce picture, Grace.

John Cooper
12-18-2012, 01:39 AM
You've demonstrated the crossbill very well here Grace, nice sharp image and the bird caught in its feeding environment.

Dennis Zaebst
12-18-2012, 01:43 AM
I think the background/perch is terrific...it is beautiful and appealing, but doesn't compete with the bird at all. The bird stands out well against it. Very fine image, Grace!

By the way, you mention Long Island...have you seen the HBO documentary entitled (approximately) "The Central Park Effect"? I found it very interesting. Perhaps I'll visit there at the right time of year someday.

David Salem
12-18-2012, 03:13 AM
Nice shot of this Crossbill. Like the pine cones and needles in the BG. Nice and sharp and exposure looks good even in the harsh light. Well done.
If you dont mind me asking, where on Long Island is a good spot to look for birds. I will be in West Babylon in a few days for the holidays. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PhilCook
12-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Much prefer this natural feed habitat than a cleaner image, it has character and all the techs look good, ans rather like the light hitting the pine cone

gail bisson
12-18-2012, 06:18 AM
Hi Grace,
What strikes me most about this shot is the great composition. I have been playing with my images and haven't been able to nail the composition.
I like the pine cone environment and the crossbill is fully visible ( no hidden tail etc) and tack sharp. I like the winter light.
Good shot,
Gail

Joe Senzatimore
12-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Very fine image. love the habitat included. And I agree that it would be hard to find a kinder , sweeter person then Gail. I only hope more folks from BPN get to meet her.

Grace Scalzo
12-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks everyone! David, PM sent. Dennis, I did see that documentary. Three of my good friends, Lloyd, David, and Harry, were in it. Excellent show!

gail bisson
12-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Very fine image. love the habitat included. And I agree that it would be hard to find a kinder , sweeter person then Gail. I only hope more folks from BPN get to meet her.

Blush, blush:tinysmile_shy_t::tinysmile_shy_t: This is going to turn into a gushy lovefest!! Have to agree that we BPN'ers are a great bunch and I encourage everyone to step out of their comfort zone and to get out and meet our colleagues. If you had told me 5 years go that I would agree to meet someone I only knew from online contact, I would have said you were crazy!
I have met some great people this way,including Joe and Grace.
OK, no more highjacking this thread,
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
That is a great bird to photograph, I only had the pleasure of photographing this species once...but it was a fun experience. Lovely light here, I only wish the two pine cones below were lit too.

Tim King
12-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Nice classic photo of one of my favoritist species :S3:

Shawn Zierman
12-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Well, it's close to eye level, but I would not call this eye level, unless you were kneeling when you made the image :) Pretty much a classic crossbill in habitat image. The composition makes good sense, given wanting to include that well lit cone to the right of the bird. I think the best results with this type of scenario, occur when the photographer is able to catch the subject out towards the ends of the boughs...often results in less deep shadows, which I think are a bit of an issue here.

Grace Scalzo
12-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Shawn, I was speaking in relative terms with my "eye level" comment as 9 out of 10 times I find these birds 20 feet up. And yes, you have described my dream shot, which is why I keep on going back to the locations where these are being seen. And I would like less harsh light. That all being said, I am not deleting this one, either. !

Shawn Zierman
12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
You absolutely should not delete this. It's a very nice image. I was being a smart**s when I said that about eye level....
Of course this is much closer to eye level than the species often times presents... I don't think the light is actually
harsh here...just the angle it's hitting the tree with causing the shadows, which really aren't blocked up at all.