PDA

View Full Version : The Sun Sets on Another Day in Yellowstone

Roman Kurywczak
12-17-2012, 12:32 PM
From my last tour to Yellowstone. Always tough trying to position yourself when aiming at the sun. Used the Singh Ray reverse GND filter to open up the FG. I have been there so often that I get to try and play with different idea.....I wanted to freeze the steam from the geyser on this one so I upped the ISO to 800 and dropped the f/stop to f/8 for 1/160 sec.

Rachel Hollander
12-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Hi Roman - beautiful colors and I like the reflection off the terraces. Is this Mammoth? The steam looks great and I like that there are a few distant trees peeking through too. The only part I am wondering about is the sky in the upper right corner. There seem to be some darker areas in a sort of repeating pattern and I'm not sure if it is natural or somehow caused by the filter.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
12-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Hey Rachel,
This is Great Fountain. The UR is streaky clouds but it also could be steam as the wind was swirling and a few moments earlier was in that area. The filter is very neutral but it does darken the sky some like a normal GND.

Rachel Hollander
12-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the explanation Roman, makes sense.

Morkel Erasmus
12-17-2012, 04:46 PM
I love the light and mood in this Roman. Nice scene too - a place I'd love to visit someday.
Good job on framing the sun behind the rising steam.

Dave Mills
12-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Ehhhh, not bad!:cheers:

Nick Palmieri
12-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Very different from your normal stuff. You upped it to 800 or downed it??? I really like the colors and reflections. Whatever those streaks are I think they really add a nice effect to the overall image. The FG hardscape entering the image from the LRC and curve its way into the distance , in my opinion, make this composition with the sun in the center work very well...

Cheryl Slechta
12-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Roman, this is beautiful! I love the curves running diagonally from the RHC across the image that corresponds with the diagonal flow of the steam. Colors and sun are marvelous:S3:

Mark Wiseman
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Hi Roman,
I like the reflections, the steam from the geyser and the high clouds which all give your image atmosphere and mood. Beautiful colours in the sky and the reflection make the choice of going for the sky or the reflection difficult when it comes to the composition. Thanks for sharing your image.
Best wishes,
Mark.

Alan Lillich
12-18-2012, 05:38 PM
I really like the way the terraces rising from LL to UR are echoed in the clouds and bit of blue sky. The steam is effective in breaking up the heavy black ridge, letting the colors flow from bottom to top.

John Chardine
12-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Beautiful Roman. Stunning colours and reflections. I wonder of there is an option to present a similar scene but with the setting sun not so centred? Later in the year it will set farther to the right. or what about framing to the left some?

Robert Amoruso
12-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Not many times putting the sun in the center of the image will work but here it does due to the FG concentric rings framing it. Nice composition Roman.

Anette Mossbacher
12-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi Roman, wonderful image. Great colors and reflection :)

Ciao
Anette

Gabi Sandu
12-22-2012, 03:09 AM
Fantastic scene and well composed. Very nicely done.

Roman Kurywczak
12-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Beautiful Roman. Stunning colours and reflections. I wonder of there is an option to present a similar scene but with the setting sun not so centred? Later in the year it will set farther to the right. or what about framing to the left some?
Hey John,
Unfortunately to the left.....there is a man made walkway and seating area :( so I try to avoid it as much as possible! I even darkened the area so it wouldn't be noticable. I have been there countless times....so fortunately for me, I have many angles here! I am looking forward to running a winter workshop in 2014 there......but the area is usually closed so will have to see if we can snowshoe in! You couldn't drag me there in the summer!!!

Andrew Aveley
12-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Great image and taken into account the comments on the location , excellent result Roman !

Have a great festive season

Grady Weed
01-03-2013, 02:34 PM
The steam frozen in time, the circles, just the right exposure, the sun light's yellow blob, excellent Roman!