PDA

View Full Version : Australian Kestrel Chick

John Cooper
12-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Nothing much as a photo but had a bit of a story behind it.

One of the parent birds had just come to the nest-hollow with a plucked starling to offer the 4 chicks nestled in this horizontal tree-hollow.

I was amazed to witness this chick sieze a complete wing and swallowed it whole! However it was a matter of 'biting-off-more-than-you-can-chew' as the wing lodged half-way down its gullet with the wing-tip feathers protruding from its mouth.

It remained like this for 10-15 mins until one of the parents returned and proceeded to extract the offending morsel. (The beak of a second chick can be seen at left).

EOS 5, EF100-300 F5.6L, ISO 100, 1/200 sec F11, natural back-lighting with fill-flash, Hide on 25 foot tower, tripod.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1968"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Vivaldo Damilano
12-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Amazing sighting and story John. How they swallow a whole wing is mind blowing TFS.

dankearl
12-17-2012, 01:24 AM
Great close up of this chick and nice story.
The DOF and the setting is superb.
One of your best for me.

arash_hazeghi
12-17-2012, 03:14 AM
great to have a view of the nest, and the chicks! I wonder if you could have been lower to be eye level with the chick!

Stu Bowie
12-17-2012, 04:08 AM
Hi John, great story, and glad parent saved the day - its a wonder he could still breathe, as we as humans panic when we choke. Thanks for pointing out the other beak. If I had seen it without your introduction, I may not have figured out what it was. :w3

Shawn Zierman
12-17-2012, 04:31 AM
Awesome text/story to go along with the image, which is striking in and of itself.
I find the orientation of this cavity fascinating, as so many cavity nest photographs,
in fact most photographs I've seen have a vertical orientation.
Very cool image sir.

John Cooper
12-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Awesome text/story to go along with the image, which is striking in and of itself.
I find the orientation of this cavity fascinating, as so many cavity nest photographs,
in fact most photographs I've seen have a vertical orientation.
Very cool image sir.

Thanks Shawn for your comments - yes this was an unusal nest hollow as all others that I've seen were in vertical tree-hollows.

Karl Egressy
12-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Great store and a very nice omage, John.

Marina Scarr
12-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Terrific story here and capture to go with it, John. As we both know, not an easy species to photograph at the nest cavity. I really like the other chick's bill peaking into the photo. It adds to the story.