PDA

View Full Version : Belted Kingfisher

Grady Weed
04-26-2008, 11:24 AM
I know most of you want a much larger image of the bird and less background. But this guy wont let me closer than 50 feet. As I kayak closer he moves on down. I could chase him all over the pond like that. So I have tried to make the best of it and got him in a natural setting showing how I see him in the New England woods. This was processed in Digital Pro by Canon, converted as a 9x12 to a tiff. Opened in Photoshop 6 and cropped to 5x7. I will make postcards and hang one in a small frame. It is about 65% of frame left here

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 4/26/2008 16:30:22, Shutter Speed 1/500Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0 Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation 0, ISO 400, Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM, Focal Length: 300.0 mm. Hand held from the kayak in 25 mph wind gusts. Almost capsized me. the loons are back. I got to within 30 feet, sun in my eyes however. I heard a Barred Owl and a Pileated Woodpecker. It was a good evening.

Alfred Forns
04-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi Gary I understand what you are saying about these birds !!! Other than setting up a blind it will be difficult to get close

My suggestion if you have another encounter is to move the boat to have the bird in front of the tree rather than in between trunks Also placing the bird close to one of the corners will enhance the image Small birds in frame do look better tucked in one of the corners !!! Good luck !!!!

Robert O'Toole
04-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Alfred good advice. As the image stands now i think cropping out that diagional branch on the left would help. As it is now the bird is a little lost.

Robert