PDA

View Full Version : They don't call them diving ducks for nothing - Canvas back going deep

Randy Stout
12-16-2012, 10:43 AM
This canvas back drake is the same one shown two days ago. He was very actively diving, so had a number of chances to capture that activity. Even having watched them a lot, it is difficult to time the dive just right. Most of the time I fire too late and catch the head underwater already. Even at 1/2000s, there is a little motion blur in this image, they are really quick!

D4 600VR f/5 ISO 640 1/2000s Gitzo/Wimberley

Post: Crop for comp, selective sharpening, cleaned up a very large catchlight.

This is a low as I can get at this location.

I liked the depression in the water behind as he dives and the very streamlined position he assumes.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1704"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Geir Jensen
12-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Well done . This is not easy.

Marina Scarr
12-16-2012, 11:30 AM
What super behavior you captured here, Randy. As you mentioned, this IS very difficult behavior to capture. Until you try, you just don't realize how tough it is. Loving the waterdrops. If it were mine and you aren't going to use it for any contests, I would remove the specular highlights from the reflection of the body. The only capture better would be with his beak in the water and his eye showing. I will be waiting for you to post that one! :w3

Doug Brown
12-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Definitely a tough capture from a timing standpoint. This frame is well executed, and I particularly like the depression in the water that you mentioned. I do agree with Marina about removing some of the specular highlights in the bird's reflection.

Arthur Morris
12-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Neat action captured. The fast shutter speed helped for sure. If you remove the specular highlights from the reflection don't forget to remove them from the side of the bird too.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Perfect timing Randy and the drops are a big bonus. I think you nailed this one.

Grace Scalzo
12-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Love it Randy...and not easy!

Miguel Palaviccini
12-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Great timing. I love the shape that you captured here and like that the beak is almost in the water. Like you mentioned, the depression to the rear adds to the image. This is how you stop motion! Well done.

Nick Palmieri
12-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Really nice capture. Don't see a lot at this exact moment (millisecond) in time.

Jonathan Ashton
12-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Never seen a shot like this before well caught, great timing, the water is remakable, and not forgetting the duck my only suggestion would be to try to lighten the front of the duck's head and bill just a little bit.

Clemens Vanderwerf
12-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Nice shot Randy, and indeed very difficult to get them with the head above water ...

Randy Stout
12-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the input.

Jonathan - the front of their head does get darker near the junction with the bill.

To give you a sense of how fast they dive, the next frame at 10 fps, the head was completely under water.

Marina - I do have a couple from another shoot of the bill in the water but the eye still visible, but not at such a nice angle. Will keep working it!

Cheers

Randy

Jim Crosswell
12-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Well timed image Randy! I like the depression in the water and composition.

Satish Ranadive
12-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Randy Sir:
Wonderful moment captured.Love the pose,colors,reflection of water on bird and beautiful water.

Regards,
Satish.

arash_hazeghi
12-17-2012, 03:13 AM
very cool Randy, dynamic pose! I might sharpen him a bit more

Shawn Zierman
12-17-2012, 04:46 AM
This is REALLY good. I love the perfect head angle, the awesome deep swirl behind the duck....
I'm looking on a small monitor right now so I could be wrong, but it looks like the eye is uncovered,
(no nictating membrane), which is great. My experience, the few times I've tried my hand at capturing
this behavior is that the nictating membrane is usually covering the eye by this point in the dive...and
with good reason! Did you find that you could kind of tell when they were going to dive by watching
them compress their bodies right before the dive? Anyway...this is excellent sir and a fantastic species
to boot.