PDA

View Full Version : Northern Flicker

Shawn Zierman
12-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Here is an image of a very cooperative Northern Flicker that allowed me to crawl almost within my minimum focusing distance of the Bigma.
The image is a bit stuck somewhere between a head shot and a standard portrait, but I still dig it because of the unique point of view.
This is the yellow shafted variety of this species, and the image was made on a very cold day during spring migration near the shore of
Lake Superior. SonyA300, Sigma50/500, iso400, 1/640, f10, small crop, subtle NR applied selectively to the bg, USM.
Comments and critiques always welcome,
Regards,
Shawn Zierman.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1859"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Stu Bowie
12-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Shawn, I remember a similar image of this species blending into the surrounding FG - I liked that one, and I like this one too. Excellent detail captured, especially the finer plumage, and just love the variety of colours on the head. You have the sharpness spot on too. The colour of the BG compliments the Flicker nicely. Well captured.

Don Nelson
12-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Well done! I like the foreground out-of-focus and excellent IQ on the bird. Nicely composed with just a portrait of the bird blending into foreground.

Geir Jensen
12-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Great shot . I like BG and FG . Great sharpnes and colour on the bird .

Well done.

Marina Scarr
12-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Stunning portrait of this species, Shawn!! Your details are outstanding. The BG is killer.

Randy Stout
12-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Shawn:

Lovely. I think you have captured him very well, with an unique point of view.

Nice techs.

I could see removing the one distinct stalk in front of him, since all else is OOF, but excellent as is.

Cheers

Randy

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Shawn I really like this. The soft focus in front really works especially since the bird has such great detail. Nice light too

Grace Scalzo
12-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Beautiful, indeed. Such a tricky bird to get close to, and to photograph it must have been special. Just like we want room for virtual feet, I feel as if this could use a bit more room on the right side. BG is the perfect compliment to the bird.

Greg Oakley
12-16-2012, 05:19 PM
This is superb Shawn - super sharp bird and a dreamy OOF foreground, plus super b/g as well - great work,
Cheers Greg

Nick Palmieri
12-16-2012, 05:39 PM
The really sharp head sticking out of the cool color grasses make this a superb image! i really like it.

John Cooper
12-16-2012, 08:32 PM
That's a really sweet image Shawn, beautifully captured.
I've always favoured these compositions with a sharp subject surrounded by a soft OOF FG & BG but never had the occasion to attempt one myself - but now I'm inspired..!!

Jim Crosswell
12-16-2012, 09:08 PM
I like the low angle, details, sharpness and complimentary colours. I remember your other image like this being selected for IOTW. Very well done Shawn!

Satish Ranadive
12-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Shawn:
I do remember your previous image of this bird and also selected for IOTW. Wonderful colors on bird,nice details and BG colors compliments well with the bird.

Regards,
Satish.

arash_hazeghi
12-17-2012, 03:10 AM
nice details pose and a great low angle. I am OK with the 2-tone BG, but wish the transition boundary had not intersected with the head as it distracts a bit.

christopher galeski
12-17-2012, 05:39 AM
Beautiful image Shawn,very nice colors and detail,nice portrait.thanks.