PDA

View Full Version : Camouflage

Andreas Liedmann
12-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi folks found the elephant of the sea
trying to hide amongst a colony of king penguins :t3.

Was not very successful as you can see at this close up shot.

Canon EOS 1D MK III
EF 500 is L
Tripod

F 8 ; ISO 400 ; 1/1000 sec

Processed in RPP and PS ; cropped to 75 % of FF

Thanks for watching and commenting

Cheers Andreas

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1758"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Steve Kaluski
12-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Andreas, I think this is the best to date regarding detail & depth, great portrait!

Techs look spot on, wonder if it needs a little more room on the RHS, but difficult to judge without seeing FF. I know you never like to flip, but just wonder if it might work better? Just my previous BKG coming into play, you never leave it behind. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
12-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks Steve,
worked hard on it , with a different approach in PP, even if it is a MK III image.
I shaved off from RHS ,top and bottom for comp.On RHS is just boring disaster of feathers spread over the ground, so i found out it more interesting to have the feathers on the body.
Do you think i should tone down the brighter feathers on RHS a tad more ? tried it already , looked just muddy , so i left it a bit bright.

Cheers Andreas

Robert Amoruso
12-15-2012, 06:23 PM
I agree, great sharpness and DOF in this image really enhances it. I like the feathers all over him/her.

Clemens Vanderwerf
12-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Hi Andreas, I like this one a lot! The comp is great, the feathers are super and the image sharpness and IQ are perfect. You could try to darken the oof RHS and the brighter frame edge at the bottom just a bit with dodge/burn. The feathers really add to the elephant seal.
Good job.

Marina Scarr
12-15-2012, 07:45 PM
This is really a terrific image. Details are super and those feathers tell such a great story.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
12-16-2012, 01:19 AM
Stunning image Andreas. The detail is awesome, composition works for me.

Steve Kaluski
12-16-2012, 03:43 AM
Do you think i should tone down the brighter feathers on RHS a tad more ? tried it already ,

Are you referring to the light grey of the BKG? If so, you could, personally I think it looks OK, but have not yet viewed the image on 'Whopper' :bg3: Have just quickly tried the Gradient tool which works nicely for the RHS and foot of the image where it is quite 'light', you might like to try that. Easy to control as you can adjust other parts, not just exposure ie contrast... Available in ACR and if you use a mask you tailor the adjustment to your own requirements.

Just a quick observation, when I brought the image in to ACR the Blacks showed they were slightly clipped, likewise dropping the Highlights to -7 help too?

Andreas Liedmann
12-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Illustration please, Steve.

I know that the blacks are slightly clipped, happened during converting from pro rgb to srgb.

Thanks Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
12-16-2012, 03:55 AM
Thanks all you other guys for your kind comments, all are very much appreciated.

Thanks Andreas

Steve Kaluski
12-16-2012, 04:02 AM
OK this is very quickly done. The RHS of the BKG and FG have been darkened slightly. How far you take it, darkening, is all down to personal taste.

Interesting Andreas, RP sent it to you, but just got an error, it bounced back. :e3

Andreas Liedmann
12-16-2012, 04:26 AM
Hi Steve,
sorry not working for me.
Now all looks very even , the subject to the BG , this is what i do not wanted,like to have a difference between the two in tonality.
Now that i see this RP i would think i go even lighter with the BG.
As you said matter of preferences.

Thanks for your RP and thoughts.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
12-16-2012, 04:37 AM
No worries, but I think it does address your question I feel, however it does show we sometimes need to go full circle in our thoughts. :S3:

Do you think i should tone down the brighter feathers on RHS a tad more ? tried it already , looked just muddy

Andreas Liedmann
12-16-2012, 04:41 AM
No worries, but I think it does address your question I feel, however it does show we sometimes need to go full circle in our thoughts. :S3:

Good to see different views, sometimes better done by others and then watch side by side and make decisions.
Again thanks for support.
Andreas

Steve Kaluski
12-16-2012, 05:25 AM
Good to see different views, sometimes better done by others and then watch side by side and make decisions. - Exactly

Rachel Hollander
12-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Hi Andreas - I'm late to the party on this one. Very well done with excellent dof and sharpness. The feathers really add to it and I have no problem with their brightness on the rhs.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
12-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks Rachel

Steve Canuel
12-16-2012, 03:11 PM
That's one big bird :eek3:. A unique shot, I like it as posted.

Morkel Erasmus
12-17-2012, 03:57 AM
There's so much character and expression in this face! Great depth and detail as mentioned, I like the covering of feathers and find the overall comp pleasing to me.
I like the hint of red in the eye too.

Andreas Liedmann
12-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks Morkel and Steve, really appreciate your comments :bg3:.

Andreas