PDA

View Full Version : Natural Parasol

Morkel Erasmus
12-14-2012, 02:35 PM
A young Wire-tailed Ground Squirrel in the Kalahari desert uses its tail as a shade from the sun.
This photo was taken in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in the Mata-Mata rest camp in late morning light.
Fill flash was used and I was lying on my stomach.

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR-II
f8.0 @ 1/1600 SS @ ISO-400
EV +0.3

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2598" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
12-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Very cute, Morkel. Looks like it's smiling for the camera. Nice low pov, excellent techs, bg and tones all combine for a simple but pleasing image. Of course some will say to get rid of the one blade of grass but I understand your feelings on cloning. A couple of spots on the leg look like they might be too hot but not a major distraction for me.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
12-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Hi Morkel,
high cuteness factor under the umbrella.
Nice composition , but think you can loose bit of FG and if you have give more on top.Low POV is working great.
Like the colors and the tones throughout the image.
I feel like that the flash is a bit too heavy , light is too even in the "shadow" areas for my taste.

TFS Andreas

Andrew Merwin
12-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Morkel, I agree with Andreas re the foreground. I like the POV, but I think if you had been sitting up when you took the image the squirrel's right paw would be fully visible. It looks like it was a hot day. I like the techs & the story told by the parasol tail. TFS.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
12-15-2012, 01:05 PM
This has "cute" written all over it as mentioned by others. Lovely image.

Marina Scarr
12-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Love that tail. The OOF at the bottom I find is quite overpowering and takes away from your subject.

Steve Kaluski
12-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Hi Morkel, great title. :cheers:

I'm with Andreas on the FG, perhaps 1/3 - 1/2 the space, but add that to the top, needs to be played with? Perhaps moving slightly to the left may have give more to see of the body which I find a little odd looking as presented with that left rear leg splayed out. Obviously nothing you can do as they do hug the ground, but I feel it is exaggerated with the very sharp head and then straight to OOF. It might have also helped the stem in front of the front left paw which I do find annoying, so it could be toned down rather than pruned. :bg3: Also, not sure what the setting was on the flash, but I might have also knocked it down more, which in turn may have helped in the point Rachel made.

TFS
Steve

Janet Heintz
12-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Morkel,
I like this image just the way it is. Very cute.
Like the color and pose.
Nice.
Janet

Steve Canuel
12-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Interesting behavior and cool to see. Face and paws looks a touch over sharpened but with a name like wire-tailed, may be accurately portrayed (similar to your klipspringer's fur?) As for the FG, I think it just needs to be darkened/subdued a touch. The amount provides a nice balance to the image. Its the slightly brighter look that I notice.

Morkel Erasmus
12-18-2012, 05:19 PM
thank you for your honest feedback, folks...
not sure what the flash setting was but for fill flash on wildlife I normally dial it down to betwen -1 and -2 flash-EV...
will revisit the crop when I have time...:S3: