PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Marsh Rainbow, The dark swamp awakens, etc.

Steve Uffman
12-14-2012, 10:46 AM
" A light in the deep darkness" ...

This image was taken deep in the mysterious Louisiana swamp lands not far from my home where dark swamps, draped in spanish moss abound and sunbeams are rare. To some, the autumn beauty of a relatively solitary early morning sun ray piercing the darkness and highlighting the cypress swamps with as many colors as a rainbow is joy.

Too other in Cajun culture, the darkness of the marsh holds many myths and mystery..... with visions of voodoo, snakes, gators, spiders and even tales of lost crazed marsh men.

I tried to capture both moods in a single image and used Nik to accentuate some drama....not sure how this audience will react...might have to be cajun to appreciate the contrasts between the light and the "darkness". Although a non cajun described it as something out of Hobbit land.....

C & C welcomed.

for larger view which this image needs IMO http://blackpearl.smugmug.com/Favorites/Favorite-Images/23735869_Rp3QK9#!i=2271625209&k=qMLwKhx&lb=1&s=X3

1dx, 70-300L, 1/400, f/8 ISO 800. handheld from a boat.

LR4, CS6 including Arash's Sharpening strategies, Nik Color efex pro 4 with a number of stacked filters for effect

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2599" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Robert Amoruso
12-15-2012, 06:12 PM
The larger view in the link looks a lot better Steve.

I do like it. What I would suggest is toning down the cyan in the sky and on the cypress knees - its looks unnatural to me.

Steve Uffman
12-15-2012, 07:42 PM
thanks, Robert, ..i was bothered by the color on the knees and such...was not sure what to do to fix it...I will adjust

Rachel Hollander
12-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Steve - I agree with Robert that the larger version looks much better. I find this smaller version somewhat muddled and unnatural.

TFS,
Rachel

Mark Wiseman
12-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Hi Steve,
A lovely image. I agree with Robert as to the colours and to add my 2pence worth, maybe a little clockwise rotation.
TFS and best wishes,
Mark.
:5

Steve Uffman
12-17-2012, 05:25 AM
Thanks Mark. Have adjusted the cyan and was improvement for sure. On clockwise rotation, I need to figure the tool that helps spot when needed. I just eyeball and use the ruler to adjust but not as precise as needed

Mark Wiseman
12-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Hi Steve,
It is so easy.
Go to Ruler and using your mouse or Wacom pen, mark the points you want to level. Then go to Image/Rotation/Arbitrary and click OK. Your image will now be level according to the two points you selected. Now it is just a matter of cropping and making the necessary adjustments.
Best wishes and best of luck,
Mark.

Roman Kurywczak
12-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Great advice on the colors....so can't add much.