PDA

View Full Version : Northern Harrier.

Karl Egressy
12-13-2012, 08:13 PM
I shot this frame from the car through the open window while driving around at Bosque. The handy easy to swing around 400/7D combo was right beside me, set for flight shot.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 7D
Canon 400 f5.6 L
ISO 400
Manual setting
f 6.3
1/1600 s

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1712"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Grace Scalzo
12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Good advance planning, Karl, to have your set up all ready. Certainly a desirable subject, exposure good. I feel as if the raised wing is slightly sharper than the head, and honestly I do not love the position of the rear wing nor its intersection with the head. That said, I have not even a single image of a Male N. Harrier.

Nick Palmieri
12-13-2012, 09:21 PM
I also think that rear wing is hurting this image a bit. With that said, the head looks good to me and the near wing looks great. Nice capture.

Karl Egressy
12-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Good advance planning, Karl, to have your set up all ready. Certainly a desirable subject, exposure good. I feel as if the raised wing is slightly sharper than the head, and honestly I do not love the position of the rear wing nor its intersection with the head. That said, I have not even a single image of a Male N. Harrier.

Thank you Grace. You are right about the wing. Thank you Nick. I did some work on the wing and made a slight change to the crop. I hope it helped.

dankearl
12-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I would like to have this in my library.
I see Harriers on a regular basis, a lot of them. All of them female, it seems.
I have seen a gray ghost once!
I don't know where they hide.

arash_hazeghi
12-14-2012, 12:58 AM
nice eye contact, it looks sharp to me. the main issue is the far wing position and it merging with the head

Frank Schauf
12-14-2012, 06:10 AM
Really nice flight shot and great details.

Daniel Cadieux
12-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Far wing mentioned, but all else looks great...exposure, details, near wing is awesome. I too would love one of these in my collection!

Stu Bowie
12-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Hi Karl, good flying pose, and placement in the frame in your repost. Exposure and sharpness look good, and I do like the eye contact.

David Salem
12-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Nice shot Karl. Great job capturing a grey ghost. Not easy and they are not nearly as common as the females. I have been chasing Harriers around this week at a good spot and haven gotten within a 100yrds of a ghost. Techs look good and the wing position is mentioned. Well done.

Shawn Zierman
12-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Awesome light quality!
I agree with Arash. The harrier looks plenty sharp....and what a beautiful raptor too.
I like the subtle adjustment to the crop in the repost, but I think you should leave the wing as is regarding lightness,
particularly because the right hand side of the body of the bird is in shadow...it only makes visual sense that the right
underwing should be shadowed to...looks photoshopped in the repost.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Karl, always a pleasure to look at the male. I always see only females here :-) and never too close for my 400. you got him at a nice angle coming in towards you. I also thing the rear wing in repost is a bit too unnatural. That is how they fly so not much you could have done about it. Terrific shot for a quick grab and shoot.

Satish Ranadive
12-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Excellent flight pose captured with spot on sharpness,nice lights,colors and details.

Regards,
Satish.