PDA

View Full Version : Please help ID this duck at Sanibel

Henry Domke
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Yesterday (12/12/12) I saw some black duck-like birds bobbing in the waves in front of our condominium on Sanibel. The weather was horrible. Windy with dark clouds. Very had to take a picture. I can't seem to make out what they are. Ideas?

Jeff Dyck
12-13-2012, 04:15 PM
I think those are Black Scoters Henry.

Henry Domke
12-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks. I have to admit I've never even heard of a Black Scoter. Wonderful!

Paul Guris
12-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Interesting sighting. If you look at the range map on BirdFellow, it appears that Sanibel is at the edge at best. Cool stuff!

http://www.birdfellow.com/birds/black-scoter-melanitta-nigra

Henry Domke
12-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Interesting sighting. If you look at the range map on BirdFellow, it appears that Sanibel is at the edge at best. Cool stuff!

http://www.birdfellow.com/birds/black-scoter-melanitta-nigra
Thanks! Thanks too for letting me know about BirdFellow. Is it a good site? How is it different than other birding websites?

Wayne Richardson
12-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Hi Henry

Interesting sighting. If you look at the range map on BirdFellow, it appears that Sanibel is at the edge at best.

Paul is quite correct with his ID & his assessment of the duck's scarcity in that particular area. 'A Birders Guide to Florida' (Bill Pranty) states that Black Scoter are 'rare to locally common mostly along the Panhandle & North Florida (Atlantic) coasts. It appears that any outside those areas are noteworthy!!

Sightings along the Gulf Coast recently include 2 at Fort De Soto (Nov 21) & another at Honeymoon Island on Dec 4. However, what is even more interesting in relation to your post is the report of 6 Black Scoter in Mantazas Pass at Bunche Beach on Nov 28. I would surmise that your image is of the same 6 birds given the proximity of the 2 locations.

Cheers: Wayne

Paul Guris
12-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks! Thanks too for letting me know about BirdFellow. Is it a good site? How is it different than other birding websites?

I like the site quite a bit. It has excellent info that's well presented, and it has good photos for ID purposes. If you are a member, you can also see photos taken of a species by other members. Questions can be posted and their moderator, Dave Irons, is an excellent birder and incredibly knowledgeable.